Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy
An_255711 posted:
My son was recently diagnosed with this. He was classified w/having a dysrhythmia grade 3 atypical spike and wave discharges. This happened while he was awake and asleep. What does the grade 3 mean?

dancer86442 responded:
I had to do some Homework. But, found the answer on another Group.

Here is what was said: There are only 3 grades of dysrhythmia and any of the grades can be indicative of a seizure disorder. Even Grade 1.

Though dysrhythmia can be caused by anxiety or other psychological factors. the presence of sharp spikes is indicative of a Seizure Disorder.

There is more Info on Wikipedia.com about Spikes & waves. Hope this helped. Hugs!

Love Candi
March 26 Epilepsy Awareness Day Advocate

hawiian_girl11 responded:
Aloha,

I do not know wnything about the spike wave stuff but was diagnosed with Myoclonic szs and had to wear a helmet for them,

For some reason I got VERY sick and different sz types presented themselves andI had a terrible time with it. But the myoclonic szs were the worst I think.

When I had to go in public I had to be in a wheel chair and seat belted in so I could not fall out,some of my jerks were so strong that I dropped things and they broke or I lurched forward. I did not fall down but the helmet was because before we used a belt to keep me in the chair I was fallin out if it and knocking some sense in (falling on my head and hurting myself.

That was several years ago. that has since passed and my normal sz type is Complex Partial szs. Although I have been experiencing Atonic szs also known as "drop attacks" and I am back in a helmet that was just fitted and made for me by a company on the mainland where my neurologist is. This this time I have to wear it all the time even in the house.

Iwas also recently dx'd with a real mild form of Cerebral Palsy. My left foot and ankle were pulling up when I was walkin and it looked like I was walking on my toes big time.

I have to wear a plastic leg brace to keep them down which is real interesting because I keep injuring the left ankle that I had a revision on back in 09 and it still has not healed.

Any way with the drop attacks I fall backwards and end up falling on the floor and either winding up on my butt or flat out and hitting my head. My head izinvoled in most of it.

So now when I see my neuro I have to fly in and then have a little chat with him about these drop attacks I have been experiencing and see what he says. He is going to put me on a new med that comes out on April 7 and I fly in to see him on april 22.

I wish you the best with the JME. That syndrome is a life long thing it does NOT go away and he will be on meds the rest of his life.

With that last sentence I am not a doctor just an RN I can not DX anyone just make suggestions, but all the literature even on EFA site and epilepsy,com site says some stuff about ita as well you can also google it as well and come up with thing on it as well.

Nancy

Helpful Tips

maybe not a seizure
A friend of mine had what he thought was a seizure. They could find nothing but he lost his license also. For one documented seizure. A ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center