Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Did I have a seizure?
An_255943 posted:
This has happened to me twice in the past few years. The first time when I was 20, the second when I was 23.[br>[br>It starts out by me feeling really clammy, sweaty, pale and lightheaded. I feel very out of it as if I'm losing consciousness. Shortly afterwards, my muscles start to collapse and I can no longer hold myself up. I start to fall down as my legs give out. Next thing I know I black out. [br>[br>I then wake up on the ground as I have fallen backwards and been knocked out for at least 5 minutes or so. When I finally wake up I am extremely weak and sweaty. [br>[br>The first time, my vision was red and yellow and blurry and I was able to speak and recovered pretty well. [br>[br>The second time, people sat me in a chair and I couldn't hold myself up, I kept falling over as I was still so weak. If they tried to stand me up, I would fall over. My body was very shaky. I also had complete memory loss. People were asking me if I know my name, what year it was, if I had any siblings, etc. (very simple questions), and I had no idea what the answers were. It was difficult to talk and I would just say "I dont know" - I still couldn't lift up my head and felt very out of it. About 15 minutes later I started to feel like everything was coming back to me and I snapped out of it. [br>[br>What could this be? [br>[br>Thank you!!

dancer86442 responded:
Could be caused by a number of different reasons. Please talk to your Dr about this & ask for a referral to a neurologist who Specializes in Epilepsy. The Neuro Should run appropriate tests to determine if they were seizures. I have heard there is a Blood test, but, not many Drs know about it, yet. But, an EEG & MRI are needed to diagnose you. We are not DRS. But, we do have Experience w/ Seizures & the proper tests needed. One thing I will say: Seems no 2 PPL have the same experiences during seizure episodes. A Lot of Similarities, but, different actions. Also, Seizures do not discriminate as to When or Where they Occur. You could go mths/yrs w/out another 'episode'. The fact that the last one lasted more than 5 minutes is of Great concern. Seizure activity Usually only lasts 2-3 minutes. Any activity (the time you are passed out) that lasts Longer, you need to go to the ER! ASAP! Keep us posted. Hugs

Love Candi
March 26 Epilepsy Awareness Day Advocate

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center