Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Help...Confused
An_256182 posted:
Hi everyone...
About 4 months ago I had a seizure (lasted more than 6 minutes) for the first time in at least 14 years. I had a handful of febrile seizures when I was a young kid (5ish years old). At that time my mother was told that the seizures were caused by a reaction I had to the pertussis vaccine. I outgrew them (or thought I did). I think I may have had a seizure in my sleep about 10 years after that. Can't say for sure because I was sleeping alone, but I did wake up with a bump on my head and no idea as to how it got there. After that... nothing... until 4 months ago (at 28 yrs old). My MRI came back clear and my EEG had a "Blip" as my neurologist referrered to it which is inconclusive but suggestive of a seizure disorder. I am wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience to me in the amount of time gone by without a seizure. I know that stress can be a trigger and within the past 2 years I have switched careers- which has lead me to experience more stress. I have also had my license suspended (am residing in Ontario, Canada) which has been a real challenge as a large portion of my job requires me to drive. I have not yet started any medications, and doing so does scare me because of all the horrible things I have heard about side effects, but I will if necessary (have a 2nd EEG scheduled in a month). Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much!

dancer86442 responded:
Hello,

I apologize for not responding sooner. I'm Usually here Everyday. But this week, Life Interfered.

You wanted to know if anyone was Like you. Well, Yes! I Am! Clik on my ID or pic & read my Profile.

Suggestion: Call your Neuro & ask if you can have a Portable EEG done. This only requires an out-patient visit & you wear the device for 24-78 hrs, at Home. Next, please read the Journal Info we have in Helpful Tips.

I know it's a real bummer to have your license revoked. But, it IS for your own Safety & the Safety of others'. I Know not driving is a major issue for Lots of PPL w/ Epilepsy. You may want to get transferred to another department, if possible. Or start searching for a Job that doesn't require driving. My DRs have never revoked my License. I did! I waited until I was seizure free for a yr. Each state/country has different 'waiting' periods. But, UK research has shown 1 yr to be Safest, b4 resuming driving. I could drive now, but, prefer to ride shotgun. That's how much I have adjusted to Not driving.

Med side effects. All meds have side effects. Even Over-the-Counter meds. How we react to a med is an Individual Issue. But, if you maintain a Healthy Diet, side effects, of our anti-epilepsy drugs, can be diminished or non-existent. But, it is truly 'trial & error'. You won't know how a med will work until you try it. You will Know w/in 2 weeks (used to be 6 weeks) if your system will Adjust to the med. Just be sure to take your med same time everyday. Ask Pharmacist about whether you should take it w/ or w/out food. A Multi-vitamin will most likely be suggested. But, depending on the med & side effects you may need other Vitamins/nutrients. Take your vitamins/nutrients at least 30 minutes Prior to your Medication. This allows vitamins to be properly absorbed by your system.

I am surprised the DR did not prescribe a medication for you, yet. They Usually Do! As a Preventive measure, at least. From what I have learned about Epilepsy: The sooner you start treatment, the better. IF seizures continue untreated, they can Teach your brain to seize, each time you have one. Then, they may happen More frequently &/or can develop into other Types of seizures.

On another Note: there are alternative treatments you can consider. Diets, Corrective Chiropractor, Neurofeedback, Yoga, meditation & More. There is Lots of Info about each of these treatments on the net. But, our Drs don't/won't always mention These 'possibilities'. Or if You mention them, wellll, they prefer you take Meds. It is Your Choice, though. You have a Rite to say No to meds. You have a Rite to seek Another Opinion & Hope you get a Dr that Agrees. Although, you may have to visit other types of DRS to implement these methods & to Monitor you. Me & my Daughter went the Med route. But, My Sis had hers controlled by a Homeopathic MD. I think that 'story' is in my Profile, too.

Any more questions? We will be here for you. If you haven't already, please bookmark this page & write down your ID/password. We would Love to have Updates from you.

Hugs & Love, Candi
March 26 Epilepsy Awareness Day Advocate

ktexas1026 responded:
I have to agree with everything Candi said. I'm fairly new to this myself (2yrs), but my doc did prescribe a seizure med on my very first visit"026 even though it was just to see if it helped. Because any further investigation wasn't going to happen within a week or 2, & like Candi said"026 he just wanted to make sure he was treating seizures while they were doing further investigations. It's better to be ON it & have it do nothing, than it would be to NEED to be on it & have a major episode b/c you WEREN'T on it.

The other thought I had about taking meds & the issues of driving. I have not given up my license at this point, mainly b/c even in my "absence seizures", I'm not unconscious"026 I continue to do whatever it is I was doing before the seizure. But yes, my doc continues to scold me about it"026 just "in case" he says. BUT"026 I live out in the middle of nowhere, so there isn't an option of public transportation. I would lose my MIND if I couldn't drive. SO, the side effects of meds are better than not having your license at ALL. I didn't find many side effects with Keppra or Lamictal (well, except that keppra was basically PMS in a bottle--LOL. But not all women have that reaction either). So if meds allowed you to be seizure free, it would save you from losing your license permanently. Most states in the US will allow you to drive after either 6months or 1 year seizure-free. Which reminds me of another reason why I still drive"026 b/c I don't have typical seizures, they can't say if/when I'm actually having a seizure"026 therefore, how can they know when I'm NOT. But, if you're having clear cut seizures, it's worth trying meds I would think. Even when you have obvious seizures, not all meds would work for you so they'd still have to do a trial & error sort of thing. Better to get started in the process of "trial & error" now, versus later.

And the last thing I will say, is that I'm also in a similar "boat" as you. My EEG was abnormal & showed seizure "activity" but they can't seem to catch it on EEG when they try to provoke one. So there again, it's like pin the tail on the donkey. And I agree with Candi also on the at-home EEG"026 don't let them try to get you to do the inpatient EEG where you're in the hospital for a week"026 they should do the at-hom EEG FIRST! LOL I won't even go into MY experience with that, since it was just 2 weeks ago & I'm STILL recovering from the mental "damage". haha (I'm kidding, but sort of serious too). I'm going to shut up no w 'cause I talk too much. lol
~Kim

hawiian_girl11 replied to ktexas1026's response:
Aloha, Kim.

there are some szs that will show up on the EEG but not on you, no physical signs. or forget the EEGs on the VEEGs.

I had several of them during my first EMU visit back in 04. THey thought is was artifact showing on the monitor so they kept coming in and putting more gel in the electrodes on my left temporal side of my head, They did that about 4 times in around 5 minutes. I was having a sub-clinical sz. I was having it in my brain but no clinical signs showing up. I was not aware of the sz or anything at all.

Just kept right on doing whatever I was doing and getting frustrated with them and their get trips in to me.

The second time I had that same thing was when I had the ambulatory EEG. I did not have anything going on outside my body so I thought nothing of it and was positive I did not have anything go on and thought it was a big waste of my time but when I got the results back I had had a complex partial sz that only showed up on the monitor.

The first visit to the EMU was 9 days the second EMU visit was with a different neuro and it was 6 days. no biggie just boring was all.

The first time they took me off my meds cold turkry the second time it was gradual.

THE first time I had one with in 3 days of being in there and the second time I had one with in the first night I was in there.

The Lamictal is my main drug so that got pulled first them the Topamax and the Klonopin together, and then I had the cocmplex partials that had to be stopped with IV Ativan.

I have had to "at-homes " by the same doc and he made me stay up for 48 hrs with no sleep in the hospital and the next day I was so tired from tht I had a sz.

HEre is my EEG hx Kim, 3 in home EEGs, 2 VEEGs, 2 awakw EEGs, another awake EEG while in the EMU, 2 sleep-deprive EEGs, and a STAT EEG. We took a cruise to Alaska a few yrs back with out my famiy just her and me and we rented a car for 2 days while the boat was doacked and there are things there called "frosties" a bump in the roadway caused by ice that is not visible until it is too late. the car flipped on its side and so did 3 others down the roadway and done on the other side but nos sll at the same time it wasin the same day my mom got away with absoelutley NO ijuries but I was having szs so I was taken to the local hospital in ANchorage and had the STAT EEG done so they could see the problem going on.and fast.

NAncy

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center