Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
service dog
hawiian_girl11 posted:
Aloha,

We finally have a system installed where Fly can get a phone, any phone in the house and step on it with her foot and it will aoutomatically call 911 when I can't when I am home alone.

She has been taught to bring my meds when I forget them. I take them at 10a and 10p, usually I wait until 10 30 pm to go and take them after the news, but she still brings them to me even if I don't want them right then.
She is a NO PET dog when she working. On the top of her service coat there is a stop sign that says STOP do NOT pet.

On the side of the coat there is a note to people that says "EPILEPSY SERVICE DOG", so they will know.

When I have my auras then she leans into my left leg hard and puts her left paw on my left foot when I am with in minutes of a sz. I have already swiped my self long before that, but she doesn't know that, but better to be safe than sorry. so I go have a seat on the floor even if I have complex partial szs. I go unresponsive lick/smack my lips, and jerk my head relatedly to the left hard. My aura is butterflies in the stomach like I am about to something in front of a big audience.

just thought I would share that with you.

Nancy

dancer86442 responded:
Sounds to me like Fly is an Excellent service Dog. I wish I still had my Maiden. RIP She was sooo good in stores. Even if ppl wanted to pet her she would sit & wait for them to approach me & ask. I know it ain't allowed when the Dogs are working. But, Maiden was 'special'. She loved to interact w/ ppl. But, she wouldn't leave my side, while I was in the store. So, I would 'reward' her w/ a friendly person meeting & greeting her. It was a good way/opportunity to inform ppl about Epilepsy, too. I had to quit training her when Hubby moved from UT to AZ to be w/ us again. He is my "Watch Dog" & that was That!

It seems to me that is the Biggest complaint ppl w/ service dogs have. Everyone wants to pet them & most will Ignore the Do Not Pet warnings. And Rarely Ask what Epilepsy Means.

Thanks for Sharing. Service Dogs are a Popular Topic. I have several Friends on FB w/ Service Dogs. In fact, one of the Groups I am w/ raises funds to help ppl get their dog & training. She charges a Lot Less than the Big Trainers here in the US. W/ same results.

Love Candi
Prepare Now! November is Epilepsy Awareness Month. Find or Create an event to educate Others'.

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center