Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Seizures and Driving
jopalo posted:
My son who is 19 just recently had two seizures (April 29 and May18, 2014). Each time he went to an emergency room. He was placed on 500mg of Keppra twice a day. Today, he saw a local neurologist who continued that plan of treatment. The neurologist imformed him that the Virginia state law requires a person not drive for six months and the North Caollina law requires a one year waiting period. Then the neurologist told my 19 year old that driving was at his own discretion. My son wants to go ahead and drive, but we are still concerned about his safety. Would it be safe for a person who had a seizure three days ago and who has only been on Keppra for three days to drive? I would have felt better if the doctor had just told him the law and advised him to wait the required length of time. Has anyone ever started on Keppra and still had seizures occur. How lond does it take to determine how effective this medication would be with an individual.

dancer86442 responded:
Hello jo,

Welcome to our Group. Your concerns are Valid. I Think I would seek a Second Opinion. Why? Cuz, that Doc had No Business, telling your son to drive. Even at his own discretion. Seizures Do Not discriminate as to when, where or how often they will occur.

I Encourage Education/Awareness about All Aspects of Epilepsy, For you & Your Son. 2 Support Group w/ his peers & parents can be bound on Facebook. Although Everyone's Journey is unique, we are not Alone. He needs to Know this. And as his Caretaker, so do you.

I can answer any questions you may have. 1st: Read our Journal Info in Tips. Start one today. 2. Make sure he takes his meds Same Time every day. To ensure a steady dose in his system. Eat Nutritiously while titrating onto to any med. Always ask Pharmacist about drug interactions & do your Homework about the anti-seizure med. Remember Side Effects are what we Watch for, not what Will Be. Clik on question Under the side effect box is a question. More are included on the list. Keppra is Known to cause mood swings. Sometimes, quite severe. Preventive Recommendation. B6 (mood swings), multi-vitamin (possible depletion of vitamins/nutrients), D-3 (Depression) & E are suggested for ppl w/ Epilepsy who take any seizure med.

Driving Laws vary in most States. But, the UK did some Research & found 1 yr is Safest. So, No, it would Not be safe for him to Drive. 1. He doesn't Know How the med will affect him or if it will control the seizures. He Has to go thru what I call: Trial & error Phase. 2. It takes 2-6 weeks for our systems to adjust to any med. Then comes the weeks/mths of 'hurry up & wait' to see if it works & if he can Still lead a 'good quality of Life'. There may be an increase of seizure activity when first starting any med. But, like I said. Each of us is Unique. If Any side effects are too Severe Insist he be weaned off! Watch for Rash! Contact Pharmacy & Dr ASAP!

May I ask what kind of seizures? Did you know there are over 40 kinds.? W/ over 2000 different causes. Plus, 45% (new stat) are unknown cause.

Important: Continue to treat your son as 'normally' as possible. But, no baths, swimming, unless supervised. Mattress on floor if suspected nite seizures. Inform Friends/relatives of Proper Seizure First Aide. Never place Anything in their mouth. Do not Restrain. A Vast Majority of uneducated people in & out of our World.

Please, keep us posted. We are here for you in case you have any more questions, or just need to Vent. Caretakers are Important People in my Book. Hugs!

Love Candi
Prepare Now! November is Epilepsy Awareness Month. Find or Create an event to educate Others'.

hawiian_girl11 responded:
Aloha,

In Hawaii, it is a 6 month waiting period.

I can't even go one month with out szs and I take 3 drugs. I take a new drug called Fycompa that came out April 7th that has the nasty s/e of dizziness and falling and I wound up with both of them, but not everyone reacts that way to it.

I have had a revision to my right ankle already from something else and now my orthopedic doctor is talking surgery in July due to a fall from that drug.

your docwas in the wro ng for telling him to drive. I agree with CAndi. That was disgusting.

I can't drive either. I had a car accident due to a sz while driving before we discovered I had epilepsy back in 2002.

I hit a tree head on and hit my head on the steering wheel after the seat belt broke at the top and I suffered a head injury and whiplash from it.

He needs to wait until he knows how he reacts to the med and how it effects him and his reactions to it and see if he can remain sz-free for the wait period for that state. Some states even require the pyshcian to report it and the liscence is taken.

I Do not know what it is for your state.

THey have changed the rules for HI and the doc no longer has to report it, but it still remains a 6 month wait period.

IF you go sz-free for 6 months then have another sz, it starts all over again and you wait it out all over again.

you really need to change docs. He had no right to do that or say that.

What happens if your son were to have a sz while driving because of him?

I have a good friend on Keppra but at a high dose and got stuck with some of the nastier s/e. He got stuck with some of the behavioral problems, deoression bowel incontinence shuffling gait, slurred speech and delayed thinking.

THis is just from my experience with what my firend taking the Keppra and my own with the epilepsy.

Nancy

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center