Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Pregnant and a seizure?
hphilips posted:
Hi everyone... I have grand mal seizures occasionally. I had one yesterday, my third one since January. (That is a lot for me.) My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant. A few days ago I started having brownish/pinkish discharge. At the time I wasn't planned to start my period for another week, and I usually have very regular periods. Looking up that symptom, I noticed that this is a common symptom ladies have when they are pregnant. Yesterday I had a pretty bad seizure- my seizures, when they occur, happen when I am on my period or maybe the day before. Today I am having heavier brown discharge and cramping, similar cramps you would have when on your period. I am not supposed to start until Monday.

I have narrowed it down to three options. 1. I was never pregnant and am having an irregular period (which doesn't happen often, but possible I suppose). 2. I was pregnant and now the baby is gone because I had the seizure. 3. I'm pregnant.

Does anyone have any insight, ideas, or similar stories? Thanks!!

dancer86442 responded:
Hello hphilips,

Welcome to our Community AKA Epland. Thank You for joining us. Go see your OB/GYN Immediately. If not possible, Go to the ER!

Your seizures are known as Catamenial Seizures. Seizures caused by Hormone fluctuations. More Info in our Resources.

I miscarried once after I was diagnosed. I guess symptoms would vary depending on how far along you were. I was at least 2-3 mths along.

Next,, go see your neuro and let him/her know that your seizures aren't controlled & you need either a higher dose of the med you are on or a New med. Discuss Catamenial Seizures w/ your Neuro. He may want to place you on natural progesterone or Hormone therapy. My Sis & daughter both have Catamenial seizures. Sis is on Natural Hormones & Modified Atkins Diet & has control after 50 yrs of No Treatments. Daughters' started at 27 & it took her Drs 10 yrs to determine the type of seizure she had. She is on Lyrica now & has control. But, keep in mind: What works for one may not work for another. It is all 'trial & error'. Never give up though.

BTW: My miscarriage was, according to the doc who examined me, due to Rare Blood Type. Not a seizure. They gave me a shot of something & 3 mths later I was PG. But, Drs had, also, started me on my 6th med w/in 10 yrs. & my seizures remained controlled thru out my PG. I have been seizure free on the same med for over 25 yrs now.

Educate yourself about all aspects of Epilepsy. And, Please, Keep us posted. Know I care. Hugs!

Love Candi
Prepare Now! November is Epilepsy Awareness Month. Find or Create an event to educate Others'.

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center