Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Do I have epilepsy or migraine I'm scared? Can anyone help
An_257480 posted:
Hi my names billy and I'm from London, uk. I was wondering if I'm alone in this because it is scaring the life out of me. I am a 31 year old man, when I was 27 I was just like any normal person enjoying like. I used to have this slight sensation on the left temple well I ignored it as I took nothing of it, after a year went past it started to disturb me so I went to see a neurologist who sent me for an mri and eeg scan after a week later I went to get my results and the neurologist said your mri is clear but the eeg showed abnormalities and he diagnosed me as I have epilepsy.

So from their he gave me keppra so I started these medications, and I went upto 4000mg and I wasn't getting better, after 2 years of taking these I went bk to the neurologist and told him I am not getting better infact I'm getting worse, so he sent me for another mri which again came back normal.

So I went private as my condition wasn't getting better I had 2 eeg scan 1 was and sleep one and the other 24hour which both came back normal to say I have no epilepsy.

Now I am 5 and half years later getting treatment for migraines. I take botox injections in my head every 3 months and still not making a difference to my like I am suffering for 5 and half years and I have no answer I have spent over £4000 on diagnoses . I am very scared If I have made a mistake on here I do apologies I am very nerves and any one help me

Take the Poll

Can anyone help me
  • Do I have epilepsy?
  • Do I have Migraines? Please help
vote
View Poll Results

dancer86442 responded:
Hello Billy,

Welcome to our Community. We are not Drs, but, we may be able to assist w/ some interesting info.

Migraines are co-morbid in some ppl w/ Epilepsy. In other words, if they experience 1, they may experience the other, too. As for your 'norm' MRI's That is Good! Means there are no tumors, cysts or other abnormalities causing your symptoms. EEG's well, a seizure has to be happening in your brain to be Recorded by the EEG. There is a Blood test that can determine Epilepsy, though. I have Read about it, but, it seems most Drs Haven't. And I have never heard of anyone who has had the blood test to determine Epilepsy, here or on Facebook. Sad part is that EP doesn't discriminate as to when or where. You could have a seizure once & never again. Or they could happen daily, weekly, mthly, yrly or Years apart.

Did you know that the foods/bevs &/or additives in food products can affect you? Suggestion: Read our Journal Info in Tips & start one today. If you have a cell phone there may be an app for Journals to make it easier on you. Personally, I just write it down. I would try the Elimination/addition process to determine what affects you. It isn't easy. But, if you Do find it is something you eat or drink or even some other pattern from your Journal, it will be worth the effort.

Ask your Dr about Topamax. It is used for Epilepsy &/or Migraines. That works for some PPL. As w/ all meds it will be 'trial & error' to find what works for you. Hang in there & Stay Strong.

Love Candi
Prepare Now! November is Epilepsy Awareness Month. Find or Create an event to educate Others'.

hawiian_girl11 responded:
Aloha Billy,

I live in Honolulu, HI.

I suffer from both Migraines AND epilepsy.

I do the same Botox every 3 months for them, I also take Topamax for both the szs and the headaches, and a BP drug called Verapamil but it is a preventative measure having to do with the blood vessels in the head.

I am also on Lamictal, and Fycompa.

I take 200 mgs of Topamax, 800 mgs of Lamictal, and 4 mgs of Fycompa (which came out on April 7th).

I also have a VNS as well. It needs to be replaced as of now.

My Migraines are not from the epilepsy, they are a result of Meningitis and encephalitis from dec 95, but could be from the epilepsy as well, not sure about that.

My epilepsy is from a traumatic birth. I had a severe blood Incompatabilty spelled wrong and being jaundiced for 10 months. My neurologist finally dx'd that after my mom said that about 2 yrs ago. A car accident brought it out in 02.

My Migraines can last anywhere from 1-3 days and I have to either take Imitrex pills or Imitrex shots. The shots take about 10 minutes to work and the pills take about 35 minutes to work.

ASk your doc about any of the Triptan drugs, they do work, but what works for one may now work for the other, like candi says.

Calcium Channel blockers, Beta BLockers, TCAs, Indocin, Inderal, Verapamil and others can help too.

Not a doc just offering suggstions about different drugs that may/might help.

AEDs like Topamax, Depakote, Tegretol, and others can help too,

Fioricet fiorinol with or without COdeine are also drugs used to combat headaches.

remember I am NOT a doc. Can NOT dx anyone, just offer sugesstions and advise.

Nancy

billy_uk replied to hawiian_girl11's response:
Hello guys thanks for the reply, you don't know how much it is appreciated. I have seen so many drs here in uk feels like their all against me, because their can't find a solution to my problem. This got very worse after I had my second set of botox I am having these side effects numbness in the whole body, feeling forgetful, weakness, feel very depressed, can hear my heart beat in my ear. Has anyone had these symptom

billy_uk replied to billy_uk's response:
1 thing I forgot to add when I was diagnosed when epilepsy first time I never had any fits or anything just this sensation in my heard. I used to have these sensation when I was little aswell at age 12, 15, 9, but then these sensations went away, but since the age if 27 their came again but never went back.

anthonybrownii replied to billy_uk's response:
What you describe there is in my case an Aura but my Aura was the smell of manure some see lights others vary but that is telling you that a seizure episode is emminent so prepare as best you caneven warn who you are with of it so they can inform medical service and onlookers as you may not be able to

Helpful Tips

maybe not a seizure
A friend of mine had what he thought was a seizure. They could find nothing but he lost his license also. For one documented seizure. A ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center