Seizure Meds & Weight Gain
patriciamom posted:
My daughter is disabled and presently on 4 seizure meds: Depakote, Keppra, and Onfi and Diastat (as needed). She is able to walk independently but noticing it it getting tougher as she has gained weight since being on the Depakote. She does not chew and digestion issues limit the amount of fresh fruits and veggies. Wondering if anyone out there knows of a good alternative to Depakote or any comments would be most welcome. Her seizures remain uncontrolled, but milder for the most part on the above meds. Thank you!

dancer86442 responded:
Hello Patricia,

Welcome to our community. Thank You for joining us.

I know there are a lot of other seizure meds she can try. But, this is best discussed w/ her neuro who knows what type of seizures she has. If you need to, please seek a second opinion. If you have an Epileptologist in your area I would suggest you see him/her. www.epilepsytalk.com has a list of Drs recommended by others' w/ Epilepsy. No need to join to read any of her articles. The fact that her seizures are still uncontrolled is a Very Important reason to seek another Opinion as well as the weight gain she is experiencing.

Please, if you haven't already, start a Daily Journal for her. More Info as to what to include in our Helpful Tips.

You said she doesn't chew. So, have you ever considered Smoothies? You can limit the amount of fruits/veggies added. A Lot of PPL have found that Low carb/High Protein diets Help w/ weight loss & seizure control. Phylis has an article about the different diets for ppl w/ Epilepsy, too. Just use the Search Tool in her Menu.

Hope this Helped. If you have more questions or just need someone to talk to, we will be here for you. Hugs

Love Candi
Prepare Now! November is Epilepsy Awareness Month. Find or Create an event to educate Others'.