Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Epilepsy and me
An_257849 posted:
In October 2013, I woke up in a hospital, confused and not quite sure what just happened I was just told that I had some seizure, thrown my business partner 'because he tried to hold me down I don't know if it was before or while having it' across the room and scared the hell out of everyone in the meeting, yes I was in a meeting with my colleges. I am a seasoned Project Manger in Civil Engineering. Now I am working from home on Internet Marketing.
Now lying in the emergency room, dazed and confused my tongue thick in my mouth bitten in half, I was being asked if I wanted to be admitted to hospital, I just wanted to get out of there. So I did.
So now eight months later and several seizure's later…..
Yesterday I met my new neurologist and what a nice guy. I have seen so many doctors and never been blown away with how thoroughly he went through all the "symptoms" or what I can remember….. 'things' that happen to me when I have an attack, its like starting again…… well that is funny.
Well the first of many that wont waist your time lying in a artificial room for twenty minutes hoping to pick up a freak misfire in my head, (needless to say that I have been to a neurologist just after I have had an attack) so now he has scheduled for me to return tomorrow and have a home test, where you have this machine propping and wrapped on my head and chest for a 24 hour period "fun", I also went for new scans, putting your head in a cage and your bent back on a flat board for a full 30 minutes, ouch, if you don't have a bent back, nothing else to say about that.
This is strange how stressful it is when you have to go for tests again….. and have the machine fitted, just to see if you have a episode(nice word for an attack), so if you have one they can narrow down what the cause is…. remember epilepsy is not a something that they can pin it down and say, yeah there it is, like you are some freak from the circus or need to be put in the nut house.
I have to say I am tired of forgetting things and being told that I have told a person about that, so now I just shut my mouth and don't say much.
As much as I want answers its not worth the pain of having an attack as it takes me a long time after one to recover and they seem to just get worse and the recovery time just longer.

Take the Poll

Still not clear on epilepsy
  • does this relate to anyone or am I absolutely mad?
  • Why am I so confused all the time
  • why at the age of 37 will I suddenly develop this
vote
View Poll Results

dancer86442 responded:
Hello, Welcome to Epland AKA Epilepsy Community. Yes, I was in your shoes. More or less. You can clik on my User ID or Pic to read my profile.

You are not a freak! You don't belong in a nut house. Those are Myths that People w/ Epilepsy are trying to dispel! Yes, episode is a better word, but, everyone has their own preferred 'term'. Yes, after my first yr, it would take me at least a week to 'recover'. Warm salt water rinse helped w/ my tongue. Ate Lots of Oatmeal, mashed potatoes & Ramen soup, too. A 'Supervised' warm Epsom salt bath helps sooth sore muscles. Heating pad/massage mat works too.

Are you on any medications, yet? What & How much/how long? Are you taking them Same time every day? Helpful Tips has Info on keeping a Daily Journal & why it is Important. Please Read. It's more than just tracking seizures.

OK, some Tips for your Portable test. Take an oversized beanie or head scarf or even a dew wrap. w/ you. When I had mine done, I just, pretty much lounged around the house. I Think I went to grocery store w/ Hubby. I just wore a Hoodie. I do believe I added the results to my Profile.

Why at 37?? Why at Any Age?????? Epilepsy does not discriminate as to when, how or where. The answers are Varied & depends on your Past & Present, Personal History & Medical History.

Forgetting things is a Very Common Issue w/ people w/ Epilepsy. There are quite a few articles out there that 'explain' it. But, again, it is 'norm'. So you Adjust! You write things Down! You keep a day planner. If you have a cell phone, well some of them have apps to assist you. Set alarms or record your day. Yes, it is terrible when you realize you are repeating yourself. But, your True Friends will understand. At Work, well, yes, I can understand your 'silence'. The general Public, our co-workers, even family members, are Very Uneducated about Epilepsy. So, they really can't understand the changes we go thru. All of which can be frustrating. But, please, Stay Strong. You now have our Support, a place to come to, when you have questions or need to vent.

Keep in mind: You are your own best Advocate. Educate yourself about All aspects of Epilepsy & Treatments! Keep asking questions! I'm not a Dr., but, I do Know what I am talking about. If I don't, I do my 'homework'. I learned More about my own & others' Epilepsy, by doing so. Lots of Hugs. Know I Care!

Love Candi
Prepare Now! November is Epilepsy Awareness Month. Find or Create an event to educate Others'.

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center