Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Photo induced epilepsy
eyeball14 posted:
We have a patient that has Photo induced epilepsy. The Optometrist has suggested she wear hand tinted contact lenses which the patient has worn now for 1 year. This has helped her greatly as she is a young adult and can now enjoy being more active. We are trying to get the contacts medically covered by her insurance and they are requesting supporting documentation/publications that this type of treatment helps reduce the onset of seizures. I have not found any information to support this. Any suggestions?

dancer86442 responded:
Hi eyeball,

I did not realize they made tinted contacts for Photosensitive EP. I do know some ppl who will be Interested in the Info. But, like you they will need proof for Insurance.

I am not sure where to get the documentation they requested. Let me check w/ some others'. I'll let you know what I find out.

Love Candi
Prepare Now! November is Epilepsy Awareness Month. Find or Create an event to educate Others'.

dancer86442 replied to dancer86442's response:
I've only had 2 replies so far to your question. Ask the Dr (optometrist) & the Neurologist. Will add more if someone has any other suggestions.

Love Candi
Prepare Now! November is Epilepsy Awareness Month. Find or Create an event to educate Others'.

dancer86442 replied to dancer86442's response:
http://www.vision.about.com/.../a/Medical-Contact-Lenses.htm

http://books.google.com/books?id=J-S_GlypB91C&gp=PA95 ..

Let me know if the sites work.

Love Candi

anthonybrownii responded:
anthonybrownii responded:I suffer from phot Seizures along with a varitey of others and the level of lighting is where I keep it but his in ability to eat and keep it down may be a side effect of the med. Candi said all of the right things I just feel you need to get him admitted to a hospital to keep his nourishment up while they test and find a viable solution. They have the ability to feed him through intovenious ways while at the same time testing with maybe different levels of meds or a change and both take a hospital enviroment to do so I hope you find this helpful and good luck

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center