Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
VNS questions
chaddy4 posted:
I talked with my neuro about VNS if this med doesn't work. Have you had success with VNS? Did they take you off meds? What has your experience been like? Thank you! God bless...Chaddy

dancer86442 responded:
chaddy, I am sure Nancy will get back w/ you on this topic. She is an ambassador for VNS. All I can say is it is like our meds. Trial & Error as to whether it will work for You!

Hugs
Prepare Now! November is Epilepsy Awareness Month. Find or Create an event to educate Others'.

hawiian_girl11 responded:
aloha,

Hi Chaddy,

I have had the VNS For 7 yrs this Sept 20th.

I have had nothing but luck with mine.\

I have had the initial one implanted then replaced 4 yrs ago then I am having that one replaced this sept 22nd.

THey aqre only lasting this short because of the high settings it has on it.

it is ON for 22 seconds and OFF for 1.8 minutes instead of ON for 30 seconds and OFF for 5 minutes.

My timing is closer together for faster impuses and faster therapy the settings are up at 2.50 amps and a 2.75 magnet swipe.

I started to respond to it at 2 months where as you really do not see the full efficacy until about 18 months. But like CAndi said it is like a med everyone is different and will respomnd to this differently.

no people do not go off their meds it is used in conjunction with their meds. IT is never used as a stand alond treatment for Epilepsy alsawys used with one or more drugs.

people do not get renenderd sz-free but can come close.

I haveto get my battery and the lead replaced this time so the entire system is going to be replaced this time around. They think there may be something wrong with the lead so I have to fly back to my doc's on the mainland and have this done.

I live in Hawai'i in Honolulu.

I have only been out here for 5 yrs this coming Oct.

I will be glad to answer any more of your questions if you have them.

nancy

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center