Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Can someone outgrow epilepsy?
tryerse posted:
My daughter is 7 years old and she was diagnosed with epilepsy when she was 2. When I went back to the neurologist when she was 4 he told me that she has outgrown it. So my question is can you outgrow epilepsy?

jljustice92 responded:
Tryerse Welcome!! I don't know the answer to your question, but i have some questions for you. I have epilepsy, i am now 39 and had my last sz at the age of 7. My neuro also said that I "might" outgrow my epilepsy. Has your daughter had any seizures since she was diagnosed? Is she on medication? How is she doing on the medication? How is her school work? When is the last time she went to the neuro? How comfortable are YOU with the neuro she is seeing? Listen to your gut on this one mom--if you have reservations about the neuro--look around for another one!!! Keep in touch Jessica

tryerse responded:
thank you jljustice first of all no she hasnt had any siezure since then. no she is not on medication cause her neurologist told me i took take her off it. She is going to see a different neuro from the one she use to have but I cant get her in until June 1st, 2009. So im not sure about this neuro i will meet him on June 1, but like i said it is a different that her doctor refered her too. Her doctor me and my husband that he is a really good neuro. The only reason why i asked this question is because my grandfather had epilepsy until the day he passed on.

Wigglemom responded:
I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 2 as well and I was medicated for 5 years. By the time I was 7 I had not seized for 3 years. I had all different kinds of seizures, even went into status epeletica a few times. but, my parents took me off of the medication and I was perfectly fine! up until I reached 22 last year. I have had 4-5 seizures in the past year, all Grand Mals. I think I would never have seized again aside from the fact that my Dr. had warned my parents and my parents in turned told me when I was older, that puberty may trigger a relapse or getting pregnant when older, as well as drugs and alcohol. I got pregnant. the whole pregnancy went smooth and then when my daughter was about 6 months old I had my first relapse seizure. I believe the hormone imbalance was the trigger. although, I know a couple other kids my age who have "outgrown" epilepsy and they have not relapsed.

roses responded:
I never outgrew my epilepsy. My sister and father did. My father was 17 when he outgrew it. It never came back. I do not know if he took any medications all that time. My sister outgrew her epilepsy at about 17, as well. She lived a normal life and had a good paying job. It came back when she was going through her menopause. Both my father and sister outgrew there's. It can happen. I know one other person who went for 7 years without epilepsy. I do not know if she continued not to have epilepsy because I did not keep in touch with her. Keep confident!! :cool: Your Friend Ruth

PHX_SUNS_FAN responded:
YEs you can out-grow EP. Mainly children can. They can out grow Rolanic epilepsy adn childhood Absence epilepsy, Centro-tempro spike epilepsy, and many other unkown kinds. I have 2 kids with epilepsy. Neither one can out grow theirs. One has Early-onset JME and the other one has Grand Mal Epilepsy that I was told because of the cord being wrapped around her kneck that she was never going to out grow hers either. I have adult on-set epilepsy adn I will not out grow mine, it is also post traumatic epilepsy. I have had 2 brain surgeries, one for epilepsy and one to remove dead brain tissue from a bruise from a sz, and many AEDs and a VNS implant. Most children wiht Absence epilepsy out grow theirs usally by their late teens and some by the begining of adolesence. Sometimes it can be carried out into adulthood. Rolanid epilspy is out grown by age 15. and the other one is out grwon by age 10 or 11. i don;t know what type your DD has or had, but I used to work in a EMU and saw all kinds of szs. I took a leave of absence when my Ep got too out of control and I could no longer work. They recenlty let me go. SOmtimes adults have epilspy that remitts and goes dormant but they do not out grow it. I hope this helped some. Nancy

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center