Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Changing to another med......
Cindigal posted:
I went to the doctor for a 3 month checkup. I told him about my concerns about Lamictal and the side effects that I am having: rashes about the face and chest, weight gain. Who would want those side effects from any med. I decided I was going to urge the doctor to change the med to another. I mentioned to him that I will be better off with Topamax, usually people lose weight with the med. I told him that I am going to the gym every day, doing cardio work-outs, and free weights and watching the diet. He did not come out and say one way or another if that pill will do that. He was very flexible to change the med to Topamax and I am anxious to see what happens. Every article that I read about Topamax claims that people lose weight on it.

dancer86442 responded:
Good Morning Cindigal,

I am glad you got off the Lamictal. A rash side effect is NOT good! I do hope the Topamax works for you. It has been treating my daughter quite horribly. She has had mood swings (took her off Keppra & that evened out some) & Diarrhea for 6 wks or more. Trial & Error Period is over. She has to get back on the med merrygoround & try something else. :(

But, everyone reacts differently to their meds. So, My prayers are w/ you. Let us know how you are doing. :) Good Luck.

Love Candi

Cindigal replied to dancer86442's response:
Thanks for the reply. Did you say that your daughter experienced bad side effects from Topamax; mood swings, and diarrhea. What is she on now.

dancer86442 replied to Cindigal's response:
Hi Cindi,

She is still on the Topamax. She's waiting for her DR appt, later this mth I think. I'm wondering what they will try next myself.

Love Candi

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center