Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
seizure pattern change and cervical spinal cord stimulator
wonderinginsc posted:
I was diagnosed at 17 with complex partial seizures in the left temporal lobe. Now, at 41 after a serious automobile accident 5 yrs ago. I recently got a cervical spinal cord stimulator for occipital neuralgia and other pain associated from the accident and neck fusion one lead is on the left as is the neuralgia.
It's been about 3 months since the stimulator was implanted and my seizure pattern has changed they are more "shaky" and I can now speak to those around me during these. Also the frequency has definitely changed... from an average of 1 per yr to (1 in the O.R, 2 in recovery) and at least 7 since. I stressed my concerns over and over about this before the surgery. Before a seizure, one of my limbs begins to tremble (giving me time to lay down). The strangest seizure took place recently. I actually was sitting up on my bed through the whole seizure talking. Does anyone have any idea if the stimulator is causing these problems? I am on meds for the seizures.

An_251515 responded:
Hi,

I hope you epilepsy getting better now. I wonder if you continue to use spinal cord stimulation to treat neuralgia, I am doing some research about using spinal cord stimulation to treat the epilepsy. I found some stimulation frequency will aggravate seizure, some will suppress seizure. so I am very interesting in your experience. If you found this message, please send me email, my email is jj@hst.aau.dk .
I may can give you some explain about your problem.

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 43 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center