Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
I was changed to another med.....
Cindigal posted:
I am totally confused about the med change and its a weekend and I can't call the doctor's office. I hate that.....even I call the office, the last time...I called 3 days in a row to talk to the doctor or even the nurse in the middle of the month They put me to the nurse's voicemail. I told her to call me about the results from a test that i took. I waited and waited. She never called me back. Now, I would think that this new medication and my confusion should warrant a call from the nurse.

The last time i was on the doctors office. I requested him to change my med. I am on Lamictal since June and get rashes, and I think i gained weight with it. He agreed with me and he prescribed topamax. He said to me that he is weening me off lamictal and start with the topamax the same time. I got the meds at the store today. I have the same dose of lamictal that i had before. Plus, the topamax. Does that sound right.....??? If I am supposed to be ween off Lamictal, why did the store gave the same pills I had before. I am asking here because I really know if someone can answer. This is a big problem for me. Even if i call the office on Monday, there is a real possibility that I would not talk to the nurse for days or the doctor. I left several messages the middle of the month about another question, no reply. I don't have a car either to hop in and go to the office to talk to him.

zarabia responded:
Hi Candigal,

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, but i would suggest calling your pharmacist or, if he/she isn't available, another one who is. I admit I was one of those people who thought that pharmacists were just glorified pill-counters, but since my diagnosis, I have found my pharmacist to be a great help and wonderful source of information. A lot may depend on the individual store or pharmacist, but I've also had to call other pharmacists after hours about unexpected things and found that even in the big 24hour stores they can be very helpful. My pharmacist and I are now on a first name basis (I know, it's kind of sad:) )and she always goes out of her way to help.

All the best,
Zarabia

phylisfeinerjohnson responded:
Time for a new doc who's responsive and meets your needs.

Attached is a compilation by forum members of http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/efforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=58925 who have had positive experiences with docs over the years. This list is based on personal recommendations and, of course is purely subjective. But I thought it might be helpful for anyone looking for a good Neurologist"026Epileptologist"026Neurosurgeon"026or Pediatric Doctor.

The list is organized alphabetically by state"026

phylisfeinerjohnson
www.epilepsytalk.com

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center