Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Bluetooth devices and Seizures
joekapala posted:
As I am new to this whole issue, I have been trying to rule out different things that I have been exposed to prior to my 1st Seizure on the 28th of March. The common thing that keeps coming up after 25 years in the Marine Corps without a incident of seizures. And believe me what I put myself through in those years and through the war in Iraq it's been very easy to rule out different things.
But as I go down my list. I started using a bluetooth device on my left ear arpx 2 years ago. As time went on I remember, a fog affect on my left side, headaches on my left side behind my left ear. I didn't think anything of it then. But now that I had the seizure I am concerned that it could be the bluetooth and/or cell phone usage. My job as a supervisor I am on the road 8-12 hrs per day constantly on the phone.
Now my old nuro did an EEG and found the test as abnormal due to localized sharp activities... And emerged predomaninatly from the left temproal area. Supporting the diagnosis of seizure disorder.
Wow - thats hard to swallow...
But, now looking back the only thing that I can point to is the bluetooth device. I am hoping someone out there might have a similar thought or have come accross studies that indicate these devices could be the cause of Seizures.
R/S Joe
FirstPrevious12NextLast

dancer86442 responded:
Hi Joe,

My service was down yesterday. Did a quick search & first site I read is concerned about radiation emission from cordless phones (higher then cell phones, believe it or not) cell phones & Bluetooth causing cancer. But, if they do cause brain tumors (as suspected) that would cause seizures.

More Research needs to be done in this area. Give it another 10 yrs for answers. Till then, go w/ your gut & ditch the thing.

Yahoo Search: 'Seizures and Blue Tooth Cell phones'

Love Candi

joekapala replied to dancer86442's response:
Candi,
All ready ditched...
But I want to ask for some test with/without the blue tooth and cell phones. If as I suspect the device is the cause then the Nuro if the test is properly done would be able to document it. Have to ask the doctor/va about it..

I just don't know what kinda test to ask for.. As this is all new...

R/S
Joe

Hi candi
My research has lead me to ask the new Nuro or the VA about the possibility of getting a sensitive testing like an MRI or better yet a SEG or MEG. They have indicated that these test are more sensitive enough to be able to see your
while while its working thus being able to pick up abnormal activity much smaller and deeper than an EEG. Things like a tumor so tiny it couldn't be picked otherwize or scar tissue so small or deep can be big enough to cause problems. If as I suspect that the Blue tooth is the cause, then if the test can be done while using the Blue tooth/Cell phone should show up on the test, supporting my conclusion. The first MRI that was done at the hospital was negative. But I don't know about these SEG or MEG. Never heard of them before.
No matter what I do I want it documented. As just because today I have only had the one seizure. Tomorrow, may not be the case and this could be bad, so I have to be prepared.
Any way another day of seizure free activity.. Another good day at work..
My job has been outstanding.. Though I can not drive, they are making accomodations for me right now... That doesn't mean it will last... And I have to be ready no matter what happens. And education is the key... But documenting everything is by for the best course of action....

Hope all is well with you... Thanks again.. For the outstanding advice...

R/S
Joe

dancer86442 replied to joekapala's response:
Hi Joe,

An MRI will show any abnormalities of the brain. I would worry about signs of cancer/tumors. But, Maybe, an ENT (ears, nose & throat) DR has some ideas on what/how to test. Other then that, well, Maybe we gotta wait for a clinical trial & volunteer for research data.

Love Candi

lennythefloorguy responded:
I also suddenly started having seizures on January 15th 2009 after recieving a bluetooth for Christmas 2008. At nearly the age of 36 it is hard to swallow. I dont know what caused it either. This is the first time I've heard anyone else mention the bluetooth as the possible cause and have often wondered myself but put it off as denial. Epilepsy is not easy to deal with this late in life. Please keep me in the loop or feel free to email me if you find out any information.

joekapala replied to lennythefloorguy's response:
Hi, Believe me I know how you feel... After numerous tests... They have no clue what the cause is... I am undergoing a sinus cavity opening after numerous hits to the face I do need to open my nasal passage up.. The doctor feels it may have had a part to play... They just don't know.. Haven't had any since... But I have not used the blue tooth since.

Hi Candi, sorry I have been off line. No new seizures.. Will undergo a procedure on 25th to open my sinus cavity up hopefully increasing the air flow.. Hope all is well with you...

Hi Joe,

Good to hear from you & w/ such Good News. I have wondered about You Often. And when Lenny Posted I just Knew you would reply. Good Karma Gets Good Results.

Joe, were you put on any Seizure Meds? If the answer is No, WHOOOHOOO For You! If the answer is Yes, then WHOOHOOO They are working for You! Did you have the Tests done, that you wanted? What about Follow-up EEG's? After all, your first Was abnormal.

Joe, Please talk w/ Your Neuro B4 your Nose procedure! Have another EEG run, if possible. About the Sinus Procedure. I'm gonna assume you told That DR about your Previous Seizure History. I, also, assume it will require some form of Anesthesia? Please, again, Talk w/ the DR/Anesthesiologist, involved. Be sure to discuss the drugs they will be using and possible side effects &/or compatibility w/ any meds you Are on. Then Back Up info by talking w/ a Pharmacist! Am I just a Worry wart or what? Neither!

You May be 1 of those who experiences 1 seizure in their Lifetime & That's That. But, your test was Abnormal & seizures Can go into remission for YRS, B4 something Else triggers them.
So, my Philosophy when it comes to Any seizure activity: Better Safe, then Sorry. Take Proper Precautions when dealing w/ Medical Issues!

No Seizures, but, Keep Up w/ Your Journal! Daily Activities/Foods/Bevs consumed. Pain? Yes, I Know! Why? Cuz, it is Still a Very Useful, Valuable Tool! And who Knows If/when you mite need it in the Future! For any/all DRS! I haven't seen the one Online that Shelia uses, but, Search Epilepsy.com.

Did ya ever Join or keep up w/ PatientsLikeMe site?

Jeez, sorry for all the Questions. Ya Know I Care! And I do Miss You. How about a Play Date in Laughlin? Your Family & Mine? Hubby is an Usher at the Riverside Performance Shows. Maybe we can get some free comp tickets for a Show. Chek Online for Shows you Mite like. Tennessee Oakridge Boys? Sometime soon.

Love Candi

dancer86442 replied to dancer86442's response:
Whoops, forgot. You asked How I Was. Been Fine, so far. Some Days it's harder to breathe then others. But, no Real problems. My Boys (Dad & Son) are Good to me. My daughter has Finally achieved Seizure Control. So, yes, Life has been Good for me & Mine.

I have joined 2 new Support Groups & keep up (sometimes) w/ the EP PPL on Facebook. Mainly, I just Post my own Info for Family & Others. Or if I see a Comment 'in need of reply/Info' I will 'Help'.

I Hope the New Year is Good To You & Yours! HUGS!

joekapala replied to lennythefloorguy's response:
Len, I just posted a couple of resources from the UK that talk about this issue, you might find it useful. Especially around Children.

Hi Candi... Just logged on..

Hello Joe, Wow What a pleasant surprise. I just logged in & was reading the latest post & then there you were. Welcome back! No fair! You logged in & didn't Update us. So, Tell me: How are You?

Love Candi

Not good.. Lost my job over memory issues. Came out of no where.. Came into work and was called into HR. Gone. Shocked..

I feel for you. Memory Loss? Side effect of meds or Ep? Are you still in Vegas? Would you like a job ATV Tours in the Desert All day & towing trailers back to shop? Need towing experience. Let me know. One of my Kids is here & says the Job is open if you are up to it.

Love Candi

Helpful Tips

Journals posted by Meetz
Meetz posted: Hi there. I don't want to sound bossy or presumptuous, but after 44 years of practice with E, I have a bit of experience. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center