Skip to content

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Includes Expert Content
Trileptal and Breastfeeding
An_200816 posted:
I take 1800 mgs of Trileptal a day--1200 in the AM, and 600 at night. I'm pregnant, and would like to breastfeed. I'm finding a lot of information that recommends breastfeeding, but a lot of it wasn't especially conclusive.

So, if you take Trileptal, were you able to breastfeed on your meds? What did your doctors say about it? What was your dosage? I know mine is on the high side--if it wasn't, I would wonder about it less.

Really appreciate it!

Take the Poll

Did you breastfeed on Trileptal?
  • Yes, doctor recommended it
  • No, doctor did not recommended it
  • Yes, but my doctor did not recommend it
  • No, but my doctor recommended it
vote
View Poll Results

dancer86442 responded:
Hello,

Congrats! When is the little one due? :) :) Are you taking your multivitamin/folic acid? :)

I don't take Trileptal, but, I have done some reading on this subject. As far back as 2000, the consensus said A-OK. BUT, I just read the Center for Disease Control site. I gotta agree. They need MORE info to deem it safe.

21 yrs ago, I was told it was safe to take my Phenobarbital's ( this med has been used for over 100 yrs old, seriously) while PG. I just knew it wasn't rite, but, did so anyway. I did NOT breastfeed. WHY? Cuz, He was born, weighing 4lbs12oz, full term. W/ hole in heart, (6 wks incubator) a lump the size of a baseball on his head (finally disappeared when he reached his teens) and an ear malformed. He is at least 2 yrs behind in mental development. He was in 11th grade w/ a 9th grade education. Teachers passed him, even though he wasn't ready for the next grade. In 8th grade his Principal told me, mid term, that he wouldn't pass becuz he was too immature. They passed him anyway. :( DRS & Hubby blamed everything on my age at time of conception (38) & other factors. :( My gut told/tells me different. 10-15 yrs later, Researchers found evidence that all these problems MITE be caused by exposure to my Pheno's. :(

From what I read: If you decide to breastfeed while on this med you will have to time feedings B4 taking your doses. Your meds will be at lower levels at that time. So they say. But, that don't make sense to me. The whole point of taking our meds at regular/consistent times is to ensure the drug maintains the same (not to high, not to low) level in our systems, to control our seizures properly.

Well, that was my 2 cents. :) I do hope you have a safe & healthy delivery. :) I have read MANY stories of others on different meds that did. So, don't let my story get ya down. Positive thoughts Mom. Take One Day At a Time. :)

Love Candi

DUKE MEDICINE
Rodney A Radtke, MD responded:
Your question is an important one for women with epilepsy who wish to have a family. There is little scientific information on this subject, and most of what we know if based on clinical experience of doctors taking care of women with epilepsy. The bottom line is that most physicians with expertise in managing epilepsy encourage their patients to breastfeed, even if they are taking anti-seizure medicine. The baby has developed for nine months in the presence of the anti-seizure medicine and as such for the baby to continue to be exposed to it after delivery usually does not create problems. I am unaware of any no descriptions of problems with breastfeeding while on Trileptal (oxcarbazepine). If blood levels are done in mom and her baby while breastfeeding, the baby's level will be around half of the mother's. So the baby is definitely getting some of the drug, but it usually does not create problems as best we tell. So if breastfeeding is important to you (as it is for most women), most experts in the field would encourage you to breastfeed. Hope this helps. I would be interested in the results of your poll. RR

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center