Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Seizures and PTSD
minehartsjoy posted:
I went to see a nuero today... I am scheduled to have a EEG tomorrow for an 8 hour period... They have not ruled out EP but did say that my seizures could be a result of my PTSD...If that is the case how will they treat this? And does it mean that this is a nice way of saying I don't have real seizures? Because they are real and this has been a painful, and scary time for me. Any advice or input would be helpful??

dancer86442 responded:
Hello Minehartsjoy,

Epilepsy or psuedo-seizures, they are both real! And it is possible to have Both. Psuedo -seizures can be treated w/ anti-anxiety or anti-depressants & counseling.

Is this your first EEG? If results are 'normal', Please, get a second opinion, B4 settling on diagnose or treatment. WHY? Cuz, there are numerous reasons for either disorder. Here is my Sister's story.

My Sis was diagnosed w/ PTSD seizures at the age of 16. (She had been having seizures off & on since childhood w/ various opinions.) After trying Dilantin, (didn't control & side effects were awful for her) she opted to 'cope' w/ her nocturnal (seizures while sleeping) seizures. At the time her BF/future hubby agreed & aided/protected her during & after 'episodes'. When she was in her forties she was faced w/ DRs once more. She had a Heart Attack. Seizures were prevalent during her stay in the hospital. After tests were run, it was determined that her seizures were due to being 'borderline diabetic'. She still refused to be treated for seizures, though. A few yrs later, she opted to see a Homeopathic DR, for thyroid issues. (She didn't mention her seizures) After tests, She was mad. The previous DRS did not tell her a simple change of diet could control her Diabetes. Then, ten yrs later, she started having serious depression issues ( caused by Epilepsy) & was forced to tell her Homeopathic DR everything. He did tests. She learned her seizures were, actually, Catamenial Seizures. Seizures brought on by hormone changes/fluctuations. (More info under Resources. :) She was treated w/ progesterone & Vitamin D3 (for depression) & has been seizure-free & no depression for the past several yrs.

Best advice: Start a Journal. More info under Tips on the Rite. :) Use our Resources & educate yourself about Both disorders & all the aspects, including Treatments. Or use your Search Engines for even more info. :)

Have fun w/ the EEG, today. Tip for gel removal: Use a tsp or 2 of vegetable or olive oil w/ your regular hair conditioner. Works wonders & leaves a beautiful shine. :)

Keep us up-dated. Know I care. HUGS!

Love Candi

minehartsjoy replied to dancer86442's response:
thank you for sharing with me. I had my eeg and the doc says as of now she is swaying toward ptsd stress related seizures. Not sure about meds yet she perscribed a blood pressure med for me but I am leary about starting it She says it might help to keep me calm. She will see me again in 3 months to re-evaluate my condition until then she says I will just have to live with the seizures. She also instructed me to follow up with mental health which I have been seeing since 2000 anyway. Not sure what they can do to help but wish me luck. I am not giving up as this has altered my life even more than the panic disorder, PTSD and clinical depression.....lots of love in christ please keep me in your prayers

dancer86442 replied to minehartsjoy's response:
Hi there,

Thank You for the reply. Do as your DR said. Be good & take your BP med. If you are leary then talk w/ your pharmacist about any concerns. Ask about possible side effects. ( Keep in mind that s/e is what we watch for Not what will be! ) Ask about OVC meds/supplements to avoid while on the BP med, too.

Sounds like you are prepared to stand up & face this new 'development' in your life. Good for You! :) I learned The best way is to learn more about EP. The majority of us can still lead a 'normal' life w/ a few changes. :) Seems to me w/ your previous medical history, you may have already made changes that will help you cope w/ this, too.

Keep talking w/ us. :) We can help you, too. :) You Are in My Prayers. HUGS! God Bless!

Love Candi

lisac377 replied to minehartsjoy's response:
Hi. I hope that you are feeling better. I have a good friend who has been having seizures and epilepsy like symptoms.
He has also been diagnosed with PTSD. His neuro said that there is no correlation between the two. Would you mind giving me the contact info for the doctor to whom you refer so that I might check in with her for another opinion? Thank you very much. Lisa

minehartsjoy replied to lisac377's response:
I see a nuero through the university of florida Shands in Gainesville Florida. They are a really good group so far I would contact then to get an appt....good luck God Speed

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center