Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Newly diagnosed? Visit the Epilepsy Health Center, check out community tips and review resources.
Strep throat and epilepsy in children
An_200837 posted:
one of worst and most wide spread bacteria among kids is strep. Unlike previous occasions, my kids contracted string of this bacteria which becomes dormant in 24hrs. In 24hrs the throat pain and fever symptoms went away. We then thought that it was a virus and it went away on it's own. Then comes the shock that none of us expected a seizure to our health 4 year old. We rushed to the ER where he was admitted into Children's hospital. I insisted that he tested for strep which was what we suspected a day earlier. There, CT Scan, EEG and MRI all showed nothing. But he did have another episode during the EEG testing. Even strep infection was negative initially. Nearly 48hrs into the ordeal we find that he had this dormant strep. By this time my son is on Kepra 100mg 2/d. I tried to bleed with the neurologist about my strong suspicion about the strep. But, he insisted on natural epilepsy, and pointed to the fact that the high fever and seizure did not co inside.

If this bacteria can transform and be accepted by the child's system while it attacks brain, liver, kidneys as suggested by some doctors. Then, why doesn't the government declare war on Strep?

Parents be aware, You no longer do need to stock tylenol and moltrin. As soon as you notice fever and soar throat on your child. Rush him/her to the clinic, less they get brain damage, PANDAS, seizures, ADHD, and may be even autism.

kycatcat responded:
I have a very similar story. 5 yr. old daughter had seizure in her sleep and w/in 12 hours broke out in rash all over body, diagnosed as scarlatina (strep). third and fourth seizures also within about 12 hours of rash/strep. how can this not be related? the missing link is lack of fever and sore throat. MRI, CT came back normal, but not EEG. EEG showed lowered seizure threshold. we go to children's hospital to epilepsy unit soon, just want the actual cause to be treated if seizures are related to a bacteria/virus in her body.

any similar stories I'd love to here. thanks

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to kycatcat's response:
Scary stuff! I have a 2.5 and a 6 year old. Strep has not been on my radar - I'm usually concerned about the flu and my kids gets lots of ear infections.

Click here for the WebMD Strep Throat Directory

Follow the links for WebMD's comprehensive coverage about how strep throat develops, what it looks like, complications, how to treat it, etc.

Interested to hear other stories from parents and what they learned.

Haylen

LIBAAX replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I'm writing this late. But my son within 3 months of the initial episode had another incident. I got a call from his preschool that he was having a fever 102 . W took him straight to the Urgent Care. Were he was positive for yet another strep. As we were getting into the car to the pharmacy, seizure again for about 3 min. After getting him started on antibiotic and Tylenol the threat went away. We continued to give him the seizure until we became concerned w/ wait gain both bowl n renal. We then Had the doc change the med to trileptal 450mg. He has now been incident free for 7 months. We also adapted a 0 talorence for fevers. That is because we think he has a low threshold.

dancer86442 replied to LIBAAX's response:
Hello LIBAAX;

Congrats on seizure free period. Sounds like Docs have got him on the rite med for Him. WHOOHOO!

Home remedy for warding off germs that cause strep/colds. fevers. Warm sal water solution. Swab/cleanse w/ Q Tip, the nostrils and inside mouth. Gargle leftover solution. Cleansing Kills bacteria/germs he breathes in/ is exposed to. Gargling kills the germs that cause sore throats.

Keep a Journal. Keep Learning. Knowledge is Power. And Epilepsy is a Never ending, ever learning Journey. I wish your son Happiness. Keep in touch. Know We Care! HUGS!

Love Candi

Helpful Tips

DEEPLY DISCOUNTED DRUGS WITHOUT INSURANCE
Believe it or not, you can save BIG bucks at the drugstore around the corner (some prescription, some generic and some of both, depending ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Epilepsy Center