Skip to content
Waking up at night to urinate?
sp1225 posted:
My husband wakes up about 2 or 3 times a night to urinate. While I think it's ok for most people, it's pretty strange in his case, since he doesn't drink a lot of water during the day, and definitely not during dinner time or after. I almost have to force him to drink water. So for someone who does not consume a lot of liquid it would seem very strange that he would need to go urinate with full pee 2 or 3 times during the night. He told me he has no pain, no discomfort, just the need to wake up and go pee. What gives?

Easternavenue responded:
It is normal - especially in older people. People may drink a lot, but sleep straight throughout the night, and the don't wake up to go to the bathroom. But people who wake up many times - as you hubby might- may feel that there is a little urine waiting. That little feeling may make harder for them to fall asleep again, but going and emptying that help them asleep again quicker.

sp1225 responded:
When you say older, what do you mean? He is 38, is that already considered older? Also the important factor is that he has a full pee, not a little urge, but a full blown pee urge, so it's strange that he does not drink a lot of water yet so much urine comes out. Any ideas?

counterso responded:
It's usually a sign of prostate enlargement or prostate infection, both very treatable with some effort. There's no reason he should get up to urinate at night at all. Send him to the urologist, and get it taken care of today.

shudnobettr responded:
Once a night at 38 would be normal 2 or 3 is not. It will eventually effect his sleep pattern. Time to see a uroligist

counterso responded:
If he's urinating a lot and not drinking a lot, has he been checked for diabetes?

Yes, 38 is considered older. Prostate checks usually start at age 40.

The other thing to consider is the color of his urine. It should be mostly colorless. If it's dark or bright yellow, or if it has a bad smell, there's a problem.

Helpful Tips

The real worry with EDExpert
Most men just want to know what can be done to bring back great erections. So often men ask whether they should take a pill , which one or ... More
Was this Helpful?
109 of 149 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Male Room - Sheldon Marks, MD

Dr. Sheldon Marks shares advice and information on men's health issues, from prostate problems to hair loss, as well as fitness and nutrition...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.