Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sore kidney's in bed & morning
MrCanz posted:
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate board to post this question on. I am 26 years old, 6'2" and 200lb's. I workout 3 times a week and power walk 30 minutes a day 3-4 times a week over rough terrain. I am still borderline overweight however at 23% body fat. For several months now I've been waking up due to pain in my kidneys. Sometimes the pain will be on one side, usually the side I'm sleeping on. Shifting positions seems to alleviate the pain. When its time to get up and my kidneys are sore, it takes only 1-2 minutes of walking around for the pain to disappear. So why are my "kidneys" sore? I assumed it was dehydration but I think I'm getting an ample amount of water, given that I will usually wake up in the middle of the night to relieve myself. As of late I have been performing strenuous lower back exercises (dead lifts, squats, bent over barbell rows) once or twice a week. I have also been spending a lot of time in bed watching T.V. throughout the day. I eat a healthy diet consisting of lean proteins, complex and starchy carbs, and healthy fats along with a multivitamin and pro-biotic. I drink a glass of red wine (7oz) usually every day with dinner. I have experienced kidney pain in my younger years when I drank a lot and was unhealthy but I attributed that to dehydration. I have no other symptoms such as fatigue, blood in urine, burning when I pee etc etc. My only symptom is a pain in my kidney areas that seems to arise after a long period laying in one position and is alleviated when I shift that position. - Thanks =)

counterso responded:
Well, not exactly a urology issue, but probably something you could discuss with your regular doctor. In the meantime, if you're going to sleep on your back, put a pillow under your knees or even better under your ankles. This tilts the pelvis to a different position when sleeping on your back and may alleviate the strain. If that doesn't change things, then perhaps you should be making a doctor's visit to see what else might be going on.

PhiDelt responded:
I have the very very exact same symptoms, I am also 6'2" 210. Its just random when it happens, and only when lying down and then waking up in the morning, and it hurts alot more when taking a deep breath in. I get up and walk around for a few mins and it is gone. Other then that i am in perfect health. Hope someone could help us.

counterso responded:
"Other than this occasional horrible pain I have when I breathe or wake up, I'm in perfect health." What makes you think that this is acceptable? See a doctor. That's where the help is.

Helpful Tips

The real worry with EDExpert
Most men just want to know what can be done to bring back great erections. So often men ask whether they should take a pill , which one or ... More
Was this Helpful?
108 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Male Room - Sheldon Marks, MD

Dr. Sheldon Marks shares advice and information on men's health issues, from prostate problems to hair loss, as well as fitness and nutrition...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.