long term effects of a catheter
kellyann1993 posted:
what are the long term effects of having an indwelling catheter when the bladder has no function

counterso responded:
Probably skin irritation of the penis, and increased likelihood of UTIs, as well as injury if the catheter is caught on something.

Luckypunck responded:
I recently came across a comment by a nurse who related that a patient's penis had gradually, over time, opened up "like a hotdog bun" from a catheter having been left in over a very long period. Another nurse confirmed she/he had seen a similar case. The catheter apparently wears away tissue. I can only surmise the patient was not conscious during all this.

counterso responded:
I'm sure they were, but they weren't describing an instantaneous anything, it happened over time. Just like a heavy earring will drag your earlobe down with a slot, any foreign object can do that to skin. Skin is stretchy, and is prone to rejecting foreign objects, especially those that provide tension. If you have concerns about this possibility, then discuss it with his urologist.

Sheldon_Marks_MD responded:
For sure the bladder will develop bacteria growth called colonization, this is the presence of bacteria and is not an infection -that is when you get sick from the bacteria. Other problems include stones, bleeding and erosion of the urethra. The catheter should be changed every 4 weeks or so. For most men they get a supra-pubic catheter.