Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Post op swelling of testicles!
unknown posted:
My husband had an endovascular repair of an abdominal aortic aneurysm this past Tues. He came home on Thurs. and is doing well as far as the procedure, but moving slowly due to his incisions made to do the procedure. However, he is concerned about the swelling of his testicles---they have swollen so they look like one large (size of a baseball) testicle! Is this 'normal' or should he be concerned?

Also, the penis and testicles are dark blue/black in color. He said there is no pain, but he's been hit in that area when he was younger and played sports and 'never' had them look anything like this! He had a foley catheter inserted for about 30 hours post op. Since this is a weekend, should we call the exchange to report this or can it wait until Monday to call his vascular surgeon and report it? We even talked about going to the E.R. but he wonders if there is no pain, is there anything to be worried about? thanks

AZStingray responded:
I'd atleast consult A Dr. But it also could be normal. It could be not enough blood getting to the area. I'd consult a Dr just to be safe.

counterso responded:
report immediately! Your husband is EXTREMELY lucky to have found and repaired this, because there's about a 97% death rate if it ruptures, even if the person is already in the hospital. It's usually a surprise. I hope he quits smoking.

unknown responded:
He hasn't smoked since he was 35 years old and he's 75 now! The aneurysm was found as most are, by chance, when being checked (x rayed) for something else. I'm awaiting a call from the office now. Thanks.

animal1975 responded:
Did your husband get back to normal? My husband just had the same surgery this week and has the same symptoms that you mentioned.

Peleliuman replied to animal1975's response:
What about swelling before surgery? My urologist says I have swelling but that I dont want the surgery as it would take 4 to 5 months to recover?

animal1975 replied to Peleliuman's response:
He did not have swelling before surgery. He has a 5.6 abdominal anursum. After endovascular surgery he was released from hospital next day but since then has had swelling of penis and scrotum beyond regonition. After 10 days still that way with little relief. Also the incision site is swollen but not red.

ErectileDysfunction responded:
That's not something you should much around with, check with your Dr. and the surgeon who did the procedure. it might be a side effect of the surgery, it might be an infection it could be nothing. But better be safe than sorry. Not feeling pain is not an indicator that something isn't wrong.

Sheldon Marks, MD responded:
Totally normal from fluid and deep bleeding that is part of his surgery. It should get better with time and elevation.

bthaub replied to Sheldon Marks, MD's response:
my father-in-law just had the same surgery and has the same swelling. would an ice pack help with the swelling of the testicles?

Helpful Tips

Erectile Dysfunction Cure FOCUS Tip #1
Your mind controls your sexual programs. Hold your right arm out to the side. Now see if you can do this without first imagining it. Weak ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Male Room - Sheldon Marks, MD

Dr. Sheldon Marks shares advice and information on men's health issues, from prostate problems to hair loss, as well as fitness and nutrition...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.