Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
erection caused by full bladder.
JCR69 posted:
Hello. I'm a 69 year old male with known cardiac disease.(two stents in my RCA in 2004.) I'm taking many different meds, however the chief one is Metoperolol 75mg TID and aspirin therapy. I also take Cilostazol 100mg dly & Diovan 160mg. dly. Every night I void before going to bed and every night I end up with an erection caused by a full bladder. When I get up to void around 2:30AM, I cannot get back to sleep right away and this bothers me and my wife. My normal "wake up" time is 5:30AM. The problem with erections due to a full bladder have bothered me all my life, but now because of age and or?, I feel uncomfortable with these erections and I'm wondering if there is any medication that can stop these erections. To put it as simple as I can, this problem is somewhat difficult to deal with, we are robbed of sleep and it truly is uncomfortable to be dealing with this situation on a nightly basis. I'm praying for some type of medication that would eliminate the erections and the uncomfortable feeling so both my wife and I can sleep. Many thanks for your help and consideration.

counterso responded:
There is no medication to stop erections triggered by a nerve impulse from full bladder. I suspect it's not actually the trigger, but just a spontaneous erection occurring at night (they frequently do) and only noticed because you have woken with urinary urgency. Clearly part of the issue is that your bladder is filling at night and you need to change some behavior so you are not producing so much urine at that time of day.

Talk to your urologist and your cardiologist about your concerns.

Helpful Tips

Radiation 30 Years Later
Not one of the five physicians who recommended radiation to treat my prostate cancer warned me that decades later it could result in ED. Be ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Male Room - Sheldon Marks, MD

Dr. Sheldon Marks shares advice and information on men's health issues, from prostate problems to hair loss, as well as fitness and nutrition...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.