Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
PSA velocity concern
stourm posted:
I am 32 years old and would love to have some advice. My father was diagnosed with PCa when he was 58 years old. That was three and a half years ago and he is not doing so well these days because of it. Once he found out that he had PCa he recommended that my uncle get checked out (he was 55 at the time) and he also had advanced PCa but it wasn't as bad as my father's.

I had read several places that advised starting a PSA velocity baseline and followup at an earlier age so I talked my doctor into allowing me to have a PSA test last year when I was 31. The PSA came back at 0.4, and my doctor assured me this was normal and there was nothing to worry about. This year, at 32, I did a second test and it was at 0.6. My doctor said again, this is nothing to worry about, it is normal.

I am concerned though because I had read that a PSA in the 0.3 range was normal for someone 40 years of age. Should I be concerned about having a 0.4 at 31 years old and a .2 rise in PSA in one year? Is this normal or should I consult a urologist to discuss these numbers? Thanks in advance.

ontbear responded:
I was advised by my health provider that one should not worry until the PSA was 2.5. check with the online PSA site

Sheldon Marks, MD responded:
You should not be concerned. Getting a baseline PSA is smart, but know that the PSA fluctuates normally. A single rise is not a problem- it is only a worry when it has risen over time and over several counts. The cut-off of 2.5 would be very wrong to use as your cut-off. That is for all ages, all men. Young men should have a very low age-adjusted PSA as you do. Getting it rechecked in a year or two is what most experts would suggest. If it is about the same, then following every 4 to 5 years makes sense until you hit 40.

stourm replied to Sheldon Marks, MD's response:
Thank you very much Dr. Marks! I really appreciate the response.

Sheldon Marks, MD replied to stourm's response:
Thank you. the key is to be on top of this, without letting it overwhelm you.

Helpful Tips

The real worry with EDExpert
Most men just want to know what can be done to bring back great erections. So often men ask whether they should take a pill , which one or ... More
Was this Helpful?
109 of 149 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Male Room - Sheldon Marks, MD

Dr. Sheldon Marks shares advice and information on men's health issues, from prostate problems to hair loss, as well as fitness and nutrition...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.