Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
mid 20's with low sex drive
An_200475 posted:
I'm a male in my mid 20's having sexual problems. In the past month, I either 1) haven't been able to get an erection, 2) haven't been able to keep one during sex or 3) have no issues (not that often)

I've had this issue with 2 sexual partners (past girlfriend, now current girlfriend). I started having sex with current-gf 2 months ago, and the first month there were no issues - although my girlfriend made it very clear that I wasn't initiating it. I stopped exercising (training for triathlons) about 6 weeks ago. Haven't been eating that well. My job is very stressful.

In my mind I'm thinking sex, but it doesn't translate in to anything but disappointment. My girlfriend gets upset with me because she thinks she is the problem. Every day I set myself up for disappointment because my mindset is that I can't and won't perform.

Is it unusual for someone in their mid-20's to have low testosterone levels? I want to see a doctor, but I want to get some opinions first. I really appreciate the help in advance... I'll answer any and all questions if it helps.

diabetesfighter responded:
No one can know your body better then your doctor. Anything is possible for anyone. I wouldn't jump to conclusions on what is going on, however, you should seriously see your doctor. There are many factors for ED and it could be that there is an underlying problem.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your relationship!

Eugenio311 responded:
In general, inability to get an erection is a physical issue, whereas losing an erection during sex is most often stress-related or psychological. I think you identified at least three issues in your post: fatigue, poor nutrition and stress. Failure to "perform" once it has happened, often recurs, just because a guy gets so psyched out. Yes, it would be unusual for someone your age to have testosterone deficiency, but that is not to say you might not benefit from a general physical exam anyway (including blood tests).

Helpful Tips

Radiation 30 Years Later
Not one of the five physicians who recommended radiation to treat my prostate cancer warned me that decades later it could result in ED. Be ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Male Room - Sheldon Marks, MD

Dr. Sheldon Marks shares advice and information on men's health issues, from prostate problems to hair loss, as well as fitness and nutrition...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.