Skip to content
Testicular Torsion
webquestion3 posted:
A friend of mine experienced testicular torsion resulting in the loss/atrophy of a testicle when they were in their 20's and there was no surgery performed at the time. Is he currently at risk by not having had the surgery and should he explore having surgery performed now that he is in his 40's (i.e. is there greater risk of something like cancer to that atrophied testicle that would merit further consideration)? Thank you.
1957hank responded:
I am not a doctor but have a great deal of personal experinece with testicular problems from birth. ( I am now in my 50's) I was born with both undescended. I had surgery when I was 10 to have them lowered but later discovered from my urologist that is may have been too late. I found that out when wife and I were trying to conceive. Doctor told me I have a much higher risk for cancer because of undecended testes and the late time for surgery. I dont think that applies to men that had normal testicles that later became injured whether from impact or torsion. However, as always check with a urologist. It is nothing to mess with or put off. Yes, it uncomfortable discussing it with doctor especially if it is a woman. Mine is but has has an excellent and professional bedsde manner. I now know what women go thru when they see a gynecologist

Helpful Tips

my husband has ed
feel ashamed but i do, my husband has ed and i try very hard to get it hard and i get so frustrated that i get upset and and roll over and ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 39 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Male Room - Sheldon Marks, MD

Dr. Sheldon Marks shares advice and information on men's health issues, from prostate problems to hair loss, as well as fitness and nutrition...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.