Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Varicocele veins
An_200544 posted:
I presently have a severe varicocele in my left testicle and also a minor one on the right side that isn't too noticeable. I've had it since as far back as I can remember. It doesn't affect my day at all however. I am active in physical exercise and do not feel a difference even after ejaculation.

Strenuous activity does however make the swelling grow to even bigger levels. It is not infertility or the pain that I am uncomfortable with because they both checked out ok, but it is definitely something difficult for me to deal with aesthetically. I feel like because the added weight my sack hangs very low, and because of the massive size of the varicocele on the left side, my testicle is not even noticeable.

I have seen a urologist about this a few years back and he says if you do not feel pain or have infertility problems then he doesn't recommend surgery because of the complications it might have. He recommends staying away from abdominal exercises or anything that puts pressure in that area... For some this might be easy, but I enjoy working out and staying in shape..

The question I have is: If i proceed with the surgery would it enable me to continue strenous activity without being worried? and would it also provide an aesthetic fix as well? Also, I read the newer technique of embrolization? Does this technique minimize risk and improve aesthetics?

I am normally not too concerned with aethetic issues on my body, but in this case it leaves me very uncomfortable, and if its something that can be fixed without complication then I would obviously choose to help the matter.

Any response will be much appreciated..

Thank you

Eugenio311 responded:
I think results of varicocele surgery are very good these days, of course there's a risk factor with any surgery, which you have to take into account.

You're the only one who knows how much this bothers you, or affects your enjoyment of life. I'd say, get all your questions answered and if you feel like you can go into the surgery with the expectation of a good outcome, go for it.

Meanwhile, I'd recommend compression shorts during exercise (if not all the time) to relieve pressure on the ligaments and structures in your scrotum.

An_200545 replied to Eugenio311's response:
thanks for ur input.. ya i do wear compression shorts or tight briefs to relieve pressure...

Helpful Tips

The real worry with EDExpert
Most men just want to know what can be done to bring back great erections. So often men ask whether they should take a pill , which one or ... More
Was this Helpful?
108 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Male Room - Sheldon Marks, MD

Dr. Sheldon Marks shares advice and information on men's health issues, from prostate problems to hair loss, as well as fitness and nutrition...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.