Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Couple problems
An_200630 posted:
I was watching a video on the computer the other day about penis size and this guy mentioned how 10 percent of the population has what is called a "micro-penis." I had no clue what it was so I looked it up and I believe I may have this condition. I'm 26 and my penis is probably 3 inches or so erect or for what I can see of it. You see I am obese but I have been losing weight and can see what I would consider the base of my penis. Most of the men in my family have average to big penises and I know this because I have had to hear stories from people. I know that it doesn't mean I would have a big penis but just seems weird that I am the only one with this small of one. Are you familiar with this problem and is there anything I can do? Thank you.

Sheldon Marks, MD responded:
Yes. Micropenis is just that- a very small penis. Sounds to me like this is not your problem. You have extra fat that is essentially burying your penis, so that it looks small. For every 20 to 25 pounds you lose your penis will become 1/2 inch longer. So instead of micropenis you have macrobelly. The good news is that yours is correctable. Now you have a good reason to get into shape and lose that weight.

Diesel203 replied to Sheldon Marks, MD's response:
Hm I hope so but I am not optimistic. Why is micropenis not likely? Thanks

Diesel203 replied to Diesel203's response:
Hm I hope so but I am not optimistic. Why is micropenis not likely? Thanks

Diesel203 replied to Diesel203's response:
Why is micropenis not likely? Thanks

Sheldon Marks, MD replied to Diesel203's response:
It is always possible but 99% of the time obesity is the cause. you can often tell by lying flat on your back, and pushing down at the base of your penis, pushing the fat away. that will give you a better idea of your true penis size if you didn't have the extra weight.

Diesel203 replied to Sheldon Marks, MD's response:
Well I guess I will just have to wait and see after I lose weight. I'm still not optimistic about it.

Helpful Tips

Radiation 30 Years Later
Not one of the five physicians who recommended radiation to treat my prostate cancer warned me that decades later it could result in ED. Be ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Male Room - Sheldon Marks, MD

Dr. Sheldon Marks shares advice and information on men's health issues, from prostate problems to hair loss, as well as fitness and nutrition...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.