Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
non-trauma causes for suspensory ligament weakening
gusfeldt posted:
Hello,

I'm 37 yr, and in the last year, I've noticed a weaker erectile curve. The firmness of the penis is as good as it ever was, but it is loose at the base and doesn't "stand" as strong as before. I suspect this is due to weakening of the Suspensory Ligament, however I have searched online for causes, and all I've seen so far are related to trauma. If age is a factor in this, I'd like to know how exactly that works, and how to correct or compensate for this through diet, exercise, or other means. If it's not necessarily age, what else might it be? I'm considering this may somehow be related to straining my L5 area when I was 22, which I imagine is aggravated by leaning over clients 4-5 days a week for up to 8 hours a day. I have chronic intermittent pain, and my low back is easily triggered into spasm by bumping into things. My X-ray does not show spinal degeneration although there is a slight curve in the L3-5 area, so I'm wondering if there may be nerve compression from inflamed supportive connective tissues like the dura mater. I'd like to hear thoughts on this, as well as what non-surgical means have been proven to strengthen the suspensory ligament to facilitate a strong curve. Is there a way to gauge the nerve conductivity and/or blood flow to the suspensory ligament?

yankiewankie responded:
I'm the same age as you, and I think we're both in the same boat physically, though I would suggest a different cause. Even though you say your penis is as firm as ever, you say it doesn't stand as straight or as strong as before. I think that's simply the natural course of aging. Mine tends to point out more than up these days. I don't think there's anything wrong as long as it's firm enough for intercourse. I, too, have lower back pain. Again, I don't think it has anything to do with your penis or the suspensory ligament. It's aging.

To address your final point, even if there is some surgery to "facilitate a strong curve," I'd group that in with bogus penile enhancement surgery and suggest you shouldn't do it. Surgery is likely to result in scarring and unintentional side effects. Your issue is psychological: learn to appreciate the fact that you can still get erections, and don't dwell on which way, or whether it curves like it used to, when you were young.

gusfeldt replied to yankiewankie's response:
I certainly feel grateful for the fact that I don't suffer from anything that prevents me from getting an erection at all.

My concern with the stiffness of the erection, that is, to maintain its position when erect, is because my gf has to angle her pelvis sharply so my glans stimulates her g-spot, which as we know is behind the pubic bone in women. So when she's moving at the angle she needs, she slips off my penis. I never had that problem until recently. Now, to give her that full-body orgasm by stimulating her g-spot, I have to do it by hand. At least I have fingers, right? But I really want to experience the joy of us climaxing together while I'm inside her.

I certainly won't pursue any surgeries -for all the reasons we know about. I'm sure you're right about age, but I'd like to know more about how exactly that works. What happens chemically in the body that diminishes a erectile strength as a man ages? I imagine it's not blood flow, because I'm athletic and have excellent cardio health. I get optimal nutrition, good rest, and I don't have excessive stress in my life. People regularly comment that they take me for being in my late 20's. Despite this however, could my testosterone perhaps be declining? Does testosterone affect the tensile strength of the suspensory ligament?

yankiewankie replied to gusfeldt's response:
You could certainly have your testosterone checked. Have your cholesterol checked while you're at it. Unless you're also feeling less energetic and decreased libido or body hair loss--the typical signs of low testosterone--I don't think it's low T. I thought like you did a couple years ago, had my T checked, and it came back normal. I think low T is actually rarer than the pharmaceutical ads on TV and radio would have you think.

As for this issue of penis angle, there is a product called the Wedge that looks like it sounds-- a cloth covered, foam wedge that the woman lies back against and that angles her lower body perfectly for G spot stimulation. Frankly you could probably improvise something like that without spending money. That's about all the suggestions I have. A doctor will have to chime in if there is a medical reason for the change in curvature of your penis.

gusfeldt replied to yankiewankie's response:
No, I haven't had any body hair loss, and my libido is actually so strong it tends to be rather bothersome, so it's probably not a testosterone issue.

Just to clarify, it's not the angle or curvature of my penis that's a problem. Perhaps in your mind, when you use those terms, you're thinking the same thing I am, but when I see those terms, they aren't quite accurate as far as what they mean to me, so let's see if I can better convey what I'm talking about...

When you were in your teens or mid-twenties, did you ever hang a body towel on your erect penis and held it up? That's what I'm talking about when I refer to the strength of the curve. I'm trying to distinguish this from the strength of the erection -as in my mind, that has more to do with the blood flow in the corpus spongiosum and the corpus cavernosa as opposed to the strength of the suspensory ligament. I took Human Sexuality in college and I did see that there is a loss of angle sharpness as a man ages, but it didn't explain why this is. I think it might have related this to lower blood flow in the corpus spongiosum and the corpus cavernosa, but I don't recall it mentioning the suspensory ligament's role in this. I'm wondering if it's due to the prolonged normal stresses of life degrading the strength of the collagen or elastin in the suspensory ligament itself, or where it attaches to the pubic bone?

As for cholesterol, that would certainly relate to blood flow, but as I mentioned, I'm in peak health. My diet couldn't be healthier, I exercise daily. My cholesterol levels are optimal.

Come to think of it, there was a time in my early twenties when a woman bent my erect penis hard in the direction opposite of the erection, and I felt a painful pop. I didn't have any problems afterwards at any time, however, I wonder if there might have been some degree of damage done by that which somehow accumulated or developed adversely over the years and this is the result of that?

Sheldon Marks, MD responded:
Interesting idea as as men get older their erections are not held as tight- but I have never heard of a loosening of the suspensory ligament. If your erections are the same rigidity, onset and duration, then even if there was some loosening, it should still not really present any problem with sexual activity. Not really sure any urologist would want to throw a few stitches to tighten things up. Actually, men do pay to have that ligament cut as some think that it results in what they perceive as a longer penis when it is not pulled in so tight.

Helpful Tips

i need help
im in my 57 and married for 31 years but recently have ed problem , i cant penetrate my penis in her..... as i did it ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 17 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Male Room - Sheldon Marks, MD

Dr. Sheldon Marks shares advice and information on men's health issues, from prostate problems to hair loss, as well as fitness and nutrition...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.