Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Change in semen
FlowHealth posted:
Some years ago, I noticed that my semen was not thick and milky any more. Instead it was clear and dissolved quickly on my beddings. It also becomes flakey when dried up.

My Urologist told me that there was nothing to be done. It was just one of those changes the body goes through. I also have pain on both the right and left of my pubic area. My wife complains of itching whenever I ejaculate in her. She has not gotten pregnant since this started happening. However, we had two children before this started.

Is it true what my Urologist told me? I'd like some professional advice please.

Sheldon Marks, MD responded:
Semen does indeed change with age and also with diet, nutrition, level of hydration, frequency and intensity of ejaculation to name a few. It starts off thick and clumps up, then turns watery over time at body temperature. If you have any questions you should get two separate semen analyses, 6 week apart, each after 3 days of abstinence. If any problems then you should see a urologist. Many female fertility doctors claim to be "couple fertility experts" that can see male issues but all they do, no matter what the report shows, is try to tell you that you need very expensive (and profitable) IVF when the problem may be easy to treat such as telling you to quit sitting in hot tubs or to stop some medications or hormones.

GiggityGuy responded:
I am not an MD like Sheldon here, but I know that I improved my penis health a lot from doing penile exercises. None of that gimmicky stuff, just jelqing to improve blood flow. It wont help you with the semen production, but it will give you harder erections. Im sure theres something out there you can buy to increase your semen volume if you really want to, but I wouldn't worry to much about it.

An_251171 replied to GiggityGuy's response:
What is jelqing?

Helpful Tips

The real worry with EDExpert
Most men just want to know what can be done to bring back great erections. So often men ask whether they should take a pill , which one or ... More
Was this Helpful?
108 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Male Room - Sheldon Marks, MD

Dr. Sheldon Marks shares advice and information on men's health issues, from prostate problems to hair loss, as well as fitness and nutrition...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.