Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How do I start the lines of communication?
An_240975 posted:
My boyfriend and I have been together for 10 years now, I am 27 and he is 36. He is also a diabetic which was diagnosed back when he was a teenager. About 6 months ago I brought up a conversation about the lack of sex in our life. He didn't come out right away with what was going on but about a month later during a heated argument about our sex life he admitted that he has ED and has seen the doctor and has to take a pill in order to get an erection. I reacted supprotive and told him that it's not his fault and that we will work through it. That was the last of the conversations....he gets very uncomfortable or shameful or shuts down verbally when it comes to this topic.

I understand the importance of keeping the lines of communication open, but it's been about 2 months since we last had sex and I ache for it! I do get frustrated because I think...he has the pills, why hasn't he popped one yet? I have tried role reversing and started to be the initiator, but it has failed twice and no matter how hard I tell myself, it's not my fault either...I am starting to feel like he is not attracted to me anymore. He has the medicine, but still doesn't even touch me. I am too young for my sex life to be over and I really want to get our lovin' back on track.

How do I start talking to him about how I feel, even though the topic is dead...I don't just want to be eating dinner and say "Huny, I woud like us to talk about the lack of sex." He will just clam up or make a joke. I really want to let him know that I am still aroused by him, and that it's hard for me to initiate because I feel rejected, and that I still find him incredibly sexy. I don't want our sex to be scheduled either.

I'm ready to start sneaking his "happy" pills into dinner (totally joking) but I just wish I could find the words to re-start this conversation with a positive outcome. Any suggestions???

abe648 responded:
Erectile problems are quite common with people who have diabetes.

Perhaps the only way that you are going to get bract to the subject is through counselling. Tell him that he still turns you on and that you want to get over this issue and that you want to help him and ask him if he is willing to go together? If not then you should go to counselling yourself to show that you mean business and that you are going to see help to help you deal with this issue from your end.

I know it is going to be hard to get back to talking but all you can do is try and get back to talking about this and if he is not willing to deal with it then you will need to decide where you go from here for your own piece of mind. Using a little pill to get an erection is not the most appealing way to make love but it that is what it takes then so be it. If he really loves and cares for you he will try to satisfy you. ASk any more questions so we can help you.

Let us know how things go. God Bless the two of you.

NOHARD responded:
Hi I think you are into that man problem and we tend to put to the back of our minds, its like if I try not to think about it will get better, but as we know it wont, you like my wife like your sex life.
Its a problem, at the end of the day its him and only him that will sort the real problem out, I got over my ED with DHEA, now I'm not sure if this works with diabetic (sorry is 1 or 2?) there is a good page here on site just put DHEA in the search box and read, or try looking at earth clinic web site, ( look under ED and libido ) but do these together to see if there is an anwser there, you will need to lead him to these.
At the end of the it seems your needs are greater than his.
Good Luck

Helpful Tips

i need help
im in my 57 and married for 31 years but recently have ed problem , i cant penetrate my penis in her..... as i did it ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 17 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Male Room - Sheldon Marks, MD

Dr. Sheldon Marks shares advice and information on men's health issues, from prostate problems to hair loss, as well as fitness and nutrition...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.