Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Unusual Masturbation Habits
An_247505 posted:
Hi.

I believe that most of my life, I have had unusual masturbation habits. I am 20 years old and practically ever since I can remember, I have used a technique that may be found quite strange to others:
I lay on my stomach with my head turned to the right (for some reason this plays an important role as I cannot be satisfied by turning it to the left), with both my hands close together down by my penis. My left hand is held flat against my pelvis to the left side of my penis and my right hand is against my penis. My penis is directed to my right side and my right hand's lower thumb area is what is pushed up against my penis directly.

Throughout my entire masturbation process, my penis is NOT erect. I can still reach a satisfying orgasm this way. In fact, this is the ONLY way I can reach an orgasm. If my penis becomes erect (usually only when I masturbate after waking), it is just not pleasurable and uncomfortable. I also find that if I do continue to masturbate with a half-erection, the orgasm is not as satisfying.

I don't know how to say this next part while maintaining a still serious, mature and sincere vibe, but I have been doing this for as long as I can remember. I believe all the way back to when I was an infant. Of course I never actually ejaculated until age 14, I believe I still reached a satisfying state that helped put me to sleep.

Now for the relationship between this problem and my sex life:
I have been having sex since age 16, with a pretty moderate - high amount with various women. I can usually get an erection just fine. Getting and maintaining an erection during intercourse is not a problem for me... But even the very first time I had sex, I realized that it didn't feel as good as masturbation and I didn't have an orgasm. I HAVE NEVER HAD AN ORGASM DURING INTERCOURSE. So I believe this has to be a physical problem due to my masturbation habits rather than a psychological problem. I have noticed there are minimal amounts of pre-cum during sex and again, I can get an erection. Since I do not reach an orgasm, I can last for hours... which is only a good thing temporarily.

I have tried gradually quitting masturbating like this both gradually and cold turkey but to no success. Usually only about a week or so before I know I'm going to have sex with a woman, so I hope to be prepared for an orgasm with her. Unfortunately it still would not happen. On family trips and other occasions in which is would be inappropriate to masturbate, I have to halt it but become unusually horny during these times. This is hard because I am used to doing it AT LEAST once every day.

These habits have also helped develop sleeping problems for me. Simply put, it is difficult for me to fall asleep without masturbating like this. After masturbating, I fall in to a deep sleep.

Thank you so much in advance for your reply and I hope to receive some helpful advice from others who may have experienced this, and tips on what I can do to recover with the goal that I can reach an orgasm during intercourse.

Sheldon Marks, MD responded:
Sounds like you have conditioned yourself to achieve orgasm in a way that makes doing so with normal sex challenging. I think that seeing a PhD sex therapist is the best next step. Most cities have several. Be sure it is PhD level. They can help you transition from your current technique to more acceptable techniques.

floridamenshealthcenter replied to Sheldon Marks, MD's response:
For any and all information please take a look at our site and live chat with our experts. http://www.floridamenshealth.com

Helpful Tips

my husband has ed
feel ashamed but i do, my husband has ed and i try very hard to get it hard and i get so frustrated that i get upset and and roll over and ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 39 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Male Room - Sheldon Marks, MD

Dr. Sheldon Marks shares advice and information on men's health issues, from prostate problems to hair loss, as well as fitness and nutrition...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.