Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Causes And Risk Factors Of Erectile Dysfunction
Energenex posted:
The first area to look at when determining the cause of erectile dysfunction is substance abuse. Substance abuse can lead to
impotence and there are a number of drugs that will increase a man's risk of becoming impotent. In fact, another common cause of erectile dysfunction is prescription medication.
Do you know anything more...???

RobertPatrick responded:
Apart from substance abuse, habits like smoking, drinking may leads to erectile dysfunction.

And even obesity, anxiety and depression is cause for erectile problem. As obese person has greater chance of cardiac problem, which sometimes coz less blood flow to penile area causing erectile dysfunction.l

Energenex replied to RobertPatrick's response:
Thanks Robert---
I studied that....Testosterone therapy offers a new ray of hope for obese patients looking for effective weight reduction, according to a recently completed five-year study conducted by researchers in Germany.
what do you think?

RobertPatrick replied to Energenex's response:
Hi,

One of the reason for low testosterone is obesity. Improving testosterone level by therapy would really help to reduce weight. I think its a good treatment and will help a lot

Energenex replied to RobertPatrick's response:
Right Robert!

I am agreed with you. If someone suffering from low libido and loss of energy then testosterone replacement therapy help him to boost there energy as well. Explore the potential benefits of boosting your low t by increasing your testosterone level.

Sheldon Marks, MD responded:
Most of the responses are good below. ED is a symptom of a problem and not the problem itself! If you have a good sized gut then the extra fat around your intestines is hormonally active and converts testosterone to estrogen, which then causes more fat storage and also messes with your delicate testosterone estrogen balance and so can cause ED. Also diabetes, thyroid, liver and other endocrine issues can cause ED as well as fatigue, stress, anxiety, guilt, chronic pain, fear...plus many medications and lifestyle issues as noted below. Plus blood vessel damage- so you need to get a stress echo to be sure your heart is okay.

RobertPatrick replied to Energenex's response:
yeah i think testosterone therapy would be good option, we need to get more information about it before going for it.

floridamenshealthcenter replied to Sheldon Marks, MD's response:
For any and all information please take a look at our site and live chat with our experts. http://www.floridamenshealth.com

Helpful Tips

The real worry with EDExpert
Most men just want to know what can be done to bring back great erections. So often men ask whether they should take a pill , which one or ... More
Was this Helpful?
108 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Male Room - Sheldon Marks, MD

Dr. Sheldon Marks shares advice and information on men's health issues, from prostate problems to hair loss, as well as fitness and nutrition...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.