Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Scar Tissue Problem
An_249133 posted:
Ok, so here's the situation.

I'm 22 years old, physically fit, mostly healthy. 2 years ago I started experiencing problems with the foreskin (I was uncircumcised at the time). More specifically it started tearing. At first it was just little micro tears on the back side, just underneath the head, but then the problem got worse and big tears started to open up around the underside of the glans. Eventually the tears traveled up alongside the frenulum, partially separating it from the glans on both sides. It was incredibly painful; anytime I became aroused I would feel it split a little further. Erections themselves were painful, hot and not pleasant at all. Anyway, eventually the tearing stopped tearing and healed over, but by then I could no longer obtain a proper erection. That is, ever since I've had problems with erections. It's noticeably more difficult to obtain an erection, and I can only get it about 3/4 of the way without deliberately forcing it further. In addition the skin area that was affected feels tight and bunched up around the penis. Anyways, I went to the doctors, and they ran me through a series of tests. They checked my nervous system (they wanted to do that especially because I have scoliosis, and had spinal fusion when I was 17) and found it to be clear. They gave me an ultrasound and found that to be clear. They tried giving me Cialis, which made the erection feel painful. They also tried circumcision, which did not help. They even sent me to see a couple of psychologists to see if the problem might be mental in origin (all of them agreed completely that it was not). However (and this is the truly frustrating part for me) I could not get my urologist to see the residual scar tissue from the earlier tearing incidents (although my general practitioner saw it), or even so much as take a biopsy. In other words, I can't get anyone to investigate what I think is the problem. Nor can I get anyone to tell me why it might be unreasonable to think it is a problem, or to offer other suggestions. I have very little functional use left of my penis and I'm practically pointing out what is the most likely culprit (as it makes perfect sense from a logical and timing standpoint), and I can't even get the doctors to tell me why they won't try investigating. So, I guess my question is, are there any doctors who would be willing to help me at this point, and, if it's not the left over scar tissue preventing the full expansion of the penile tissue (which is what I think it is), then what else might it be? Thanks for your help in advance.
Sheldon Marks, MD responded:
Yes I have seen examples where the scar can in fact impact on your ability to achieve an erection. Plus the fear of pain from having so much tearing and scarring back and forth over so many years can also best with your sex drive and your ability to achieve and maintain an erection.This degree of intermittent tearing and scarring can cause tremendous damage to the tissues. Whenever I see this or hear about it my first thought is to check blood sugars because diabetes is a common culprit. If your local urologist is not very hopeful that I suggest you seek out a specialist in male reproductive medicine and surgery, Which is a urologist is done additional time in training in this specific field.
plutonium94 replied to Sheldon Marks, MD's response:
Thank you Dr. Marks. I will check into this right away.
floridamenshealthcenter replied to Sheldon Marks, MD's response:
For any and all information please take a look at our site and live chat with our experts.
floridamenshealthcenter replied to Sheldon Marks, MD's response:
For any and all information please take a look at our site and live chat with our experts.

Helpful Tips

The real worry with EDExpert
Most men just want to know what can be done to bring back great erections. So often men ask whether they should take a pill , which one or ... More
Was this Helpful?
111 of 151 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Male Room - Sheldon Marks, MD

Dr. Sheldon Marks shares advice and information on men's health issues, from prostate problems to hair loss, as well as fitness and nutrition...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.