Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My husband is diabetic & has problems with ED.
An_252038 posted:
We are a very young couple, and have only been married for a few years. I knew going into this relationship that my husband was type 1 diabetic, and that there were certain things he couldn't do, and that there were also certain things I was going to have to help him with. He developed it as a young child, and since his parents were going through a very bitter divorce, no one was ever home to help him learn how to properly take care of himself now that he had developed this. Now we are in our late 20's, and he is pretty much set in his ways. I cook healthy for him, hound him about taking his insulin, and check his sugar. He has always had some issues with sex, but now he is never in the mood or willing to even try. When I have talked to him about it, he gets very upset and defensive. Even when I tell him that I just want to help him get through this, to make our marriage better, he just shuts down. I know he loves me, but it makes me feel so unattractive and unwanted. I feel like our sex life is now what I would have expected it to be 40-50 years from now. I try to be understanding and just accept that this is the hand that we were dealt, and I say we because we are in this together, but it's still so difficult. I almost feel resentful sometimes. I could handle it if he atleast put some kind of effort into trying to fix this problem, but he is not. I have recently told him this, and that I think his not being willing to try to fix it for me is what makes me feel that way. He told me if it will save our marriage he will be willing to try something, but he is too ashamed to go to his dr. He said he doesn't feel like a "real man" because he has this at such a young age. I know there are a lot of over the counter and herbal remedies, but I am so nervous to let him try any of them, because of his diabetes. Are there any that would be safe for him that would not affect his blood sugar? I would feel so much more comfortable if he went to the dr about this, but I understand that it is embarrassing for him, so I don't want to push him to go, and then him shut me out again. Please help!

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

The real worry with EDExpert
Most men just want to know what can be done to bring back great erections. So often men ask whether they should take a pill , which one or ... More
Was this Helpful?
108 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Male Room - Sheldon Marks, MD

Dr. Sheldon Marks shares advice and information on men's health issues, from prostate problems to hair loss, as well as fitness and nutrition...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.