Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can alcohol cessation cause ED or cause it to worsen?
wtbeau posted:
I'm 59 and have been a heavy drinker for years. I quit drinking about 5 weeks ago. I have had an occasional problem with ED, but after quitting alcohol the problem is much worse. I was hoping that my performance would improve with time. I certainly didn't expect it to get worse. Is my experience with quitting alcohol normal or abnormal?
floridamenshealthcenter responded:
We are the state's premier health clinic for men. Specializing in all men's health issues, we help men regain their sexual health in a comfortable, discreet environment. Our specialist at Florida Men's Health, provide life-altering impotence cures and a host of other male health services. For All your answers please visit
Anon_8089 responded:
Stopping drinking should help with ED problems. After stopping drinking myself for a few months, I was having good erections again after it being very hit and miss while drinking a lot.

Given your age it may be that ED has crept up unrelated to the drinking. I've had a similar issue and started taking Viagra from time to time which was great. I gained confidence and it became a mental thing. I think when I drank, I had less performance anxiety and when always sober, that started creeping back a little. Viagra has been great but I have also heard good things from my doc about Cialis. Prob just a matter of which one is right for you (and check your prescription drug plan to see which is preferred). Hope this helped and good luck

Helpful Tips

Pinched nerves. I also lost some feeling in my dick when I was sitting playing guitar and twisting my hips in my chair to see the music ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Male Room - Sheldon Marks, MD

Dr. Sheldon Marks shares advice and information on men's health issues, from prostate problems to hair loss, as well as fitness and nutrition...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.