Skip to content
Effects of Cortisone Shots
wilk099 posted:
Dr Marks, I have been taking cortisone shots for my shoulder every month for two years. In that time I have notice considerable reduction in penis size. Is this a side effect of the steroid injections? If so, will the size return? I had surgery so I shouldn't need any more injections. I do take euflexxa injections for my knee every year. I'm in my late 50's. What can I do to return most, if not all of it back? Wonderlich

counterso responded:
Penises do not change size when you're an adult. Aside from the flaccid to erect state, there's nothing you can do to make your penis bigger or smaller. Are you talking about the apparent size of your flaccid penis? That's an unfair assessment if so. The only measure of penis size is erect length. If you have a change in the apparent erect length, the typical cause is an increase in belly fat which protrudes and makes your penis (which is anchored internally) look smaller because it has more skin and fat to pass through.

wilk099 responded:
Before the cortisone injections my erection was 9 1/4 inches. two years later, I am 6 1/2" erect. My weight has changed from 230 to 220. I do not have belly fat. I keep myself in good shape (even though my shoulder was a mess). I never took steroids before but I had read that it was one of the side effects. Thus my inquiry.

counterso responded:
The side effect of steroids is shrinkage of the testes, not penis. There is no documentation on penis shrinkage for cortisone. It seems damn near impossible for what you are reporting to be true. Talk to a urologist. Why would you let it get that far before seeing one?

wilk099 responded:
Pain does strange things to a person. Especially the pain that I went through. As I said, It was so bad that I had to get monthly cortisone shots, take percocet and Indomethacine for my knee back shoulder & wrist.

Helpful Tips

Erectale dysfunction
To whom it may concern 6 years ago I had a vey bad colon cancer operation. Since, my sperms goes to my bladder. Also, my erections are not ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 6 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Male Room - Sheldon Marks, MD

Dr. Sheldon Marks shares advice and information on men's health issues, from prostate problems to hair loss, as well as fitness and nutrition...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.