Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Swollen right eye
melissakaysmith posted:
For the past 4 days, the top of my right eye (under the eyelid) feels numb. It hurts to blink, burns, and constantly waters. It feels like a contact lens has shifted above the area you normally would wear it. I have worn them in the past, but not for at least 6 years, only glasses now. This happened once before, that is how I know the feeling. The eyeball itself feels rubbery, compared to my left eye which feels jelly. I know it is wrong to touch the actual eyeball, but I thought this would help. I have looked multiple times and cannot see anything, and have used eye washes and drops. Thank you
Alan M Kozarsky, MD responded:

We call this symptom "foreign body sensation" and the possibilities include a small foreign object that you can't see, a scratched or irritated or dry cornea, and as often occurs, its starts as one thing and all the manipulation that you do to examine and try to remove something actually creates more irritation.

The short answer is that if all is not back to perfect by tomorrow morning, call and make an appointment with your eye doctor.

Featuring Experts

Alan Kozarsky, MD, is one of the leading corneal, cataract, and vision correction specialists in the country and was selected again this year by Atla...More

Helpful Tips

BEST of Eye Secrets
Eye Secrets is a non-surgical eye lift designed to instantly restore your eyelids to a more natural, youthful shape. Eyelid strips give an ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.