Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Right Eye Swollen/Strained/Temple Throbbing
help201 posted:
Please help. I am at a loss for words, because the state of New Jersey does not want to help me. I even went to the emergency room, & they will not help me, or diagnose anything. For the past year or more, my right eye has been swollen, puffy & strained. The top of my right temple area also pulsates with a HUGE throbbing migraine every 5 seconds. Here is a picture:

I have tried to get Medicaid, but they ill not give it to me unless I get checked by a doctor... a $300-$400 visit I cannot afford. How sick is this society?
Thank you, & please... somebody help me.
Alan M Kozarsky, MD responded:
I am so sorry about you problem and wish that I could be more help. By your description and by the photo (by the way, in the photo it looks more like LEFT brow swelling than right), the problem may be minor or more significant. In general, if you know that you have an eye problem, the place to go is to the specialist and not an emergency room.

There is probably no way other than a full expert clinical exam by an ophthalmologist, perhaps an oculoplastic specialist ( and search by "Find an Eye M.D. and "oculoplastic" ). If there is the least bit of suspicion that there may be inflammation or something in the eye socket (orbit), the doctor may recommend a CT or MRI scan.

Featuring Experts

Alan Kozarsky, MD, is one of the leading corneal, cataract, and vision correction specialists in the country and was selected again this year by Atla...More

Helpful Tips

blurry eyes
sometimes I experience blurred eyesight and shaking of my lower eye. do I have astigmatism and do I need to go to an eye doctor? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.