Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Seeing small
    sofred posted:
    My five year old son has been mentioning that he intermittently sees things "small". I have not been able to establish if he is trying to be funny or whether it is a real problem. The best explanation I have been able to elicit is that "it is magic". This is a fairly recent thing (started last week) following a very severe cold.

    Is this something I should seek medical help for? A quick check on the Internet suggests something along the lines of Micropsia or AIWS.

    However, given that I cannot get him to respond seriously to my questions I cannot establish whether there is enough cause for concern here to go see a doctor. Do doctors have better tools than asking him questions to establish whether there is reason for concern?

    I'd much appreciate any help.
    Alan M Kozarsky, MD responded:
    It is probably not possible that any health professional can make a diagnosis or eliminate any diagnosis based upon the occasional symptom of "micropsia" or seeing small. Most five year olds are unable to elaborate on their symptoms enough to give accurate diagnostic clues.

    If the symptom persists my approach would be to start with a comprehensive eye exam by a pediatric ophthalmologist. Like many issues in young children, the symptom is likely to go away spontaneously and without explanation. It it persists or becomes more frequent (extremely unlikely), it will lead to visits to a pediatric neurologist and possibly others.......again, very, very unlikely.
    sofred replied to Alan M Kozarsky, MD's response:

    Featuring Experts

    Alan Kozarsky, MD, is one of the leading corneal, cataract, and vision correction specialists in the country and was selected again this year by Atla...More

    Helpful Tips

    46 yr old female diagnosed with punder my pink eye
    there is a lump on the inside of my left eyes it almost looks like a big pimple or cyst..i went to a walk in and they told me it was pink ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.