Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Macular Hole Surgery
    marshaju posted:
    I have been diagnosed with a Macular Hole from vitreous detachment. I have scheduled surgery followed by face down time for a week. I am concerned about long term effects of the surgery. I am also interested in alternative treatments.
    Alan M Kozarsky, MD responded:
    Macular hole surgery is a important recent development in retinal care

    The vitreous gel is carefully removed and a gas bubble used to fill the back of the eye to press the hole closed. The head positioning is required to make sure the bubble is pressing the hole closed.

    The are small variations on this technique but the surgery is pretty much the same between surgeons. It would be a good idea to get your surgeon to tell you about his or her individual technique and restrictions that are placed on post op patients.

    The long term results are excellent. The outcome without surgery is almost certainly the permanent loss of central vision in that eye. This should help in your decision process.
    sayona replied to Alan M Kozarsky, MD's response:
    I have macular hole in both of my eyes. I would like to find out the doctors in my area who can do the surgery. Can you help me?
    I am in roselle park, New jersey.
    Thank you.
    Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to sayona's response:
    Hi Sayona,

    I'm sure Dr. Kozarsky will be responding with some guidance to help you find what you need but please understand that specific recommendations cannot be made on our boards.
    Alan M Kozarsky, MD replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response: , Press tab "Find an Eye MD" , search for "retina" and your location.

    Featuring Experts

    Alan Kozarsky, MD, is one of the leading corneal, cataract, and vision correction specialists in the country and was selected again this year by Atla...More

    Helpful Tips

    46 yr old female diagnosed with punder my pink eye
    there is a lump on the inside of my left eyes it almost looks like a big pimple or cyst..i went to a walk in and they told me it was pink ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.