Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
permanent bloodshot eyes
kikiscissor posted:
my eyes are always red and i've been to the oftalmologist and he sents me eye drops and glasses but that does NOT work. what can i do? also they look sunk in, like stuck in the back of my head.
Alan M Kozarsky, MD responded:
I am sorry that your eyes are red but am happy that you have been to the ophthalmologist. I am sure that if there was a major problem, he or she would have made a diagnosis.

Redness of the eyes is a very common issue for many of our patients. Many times, there is no explanation other than some people have very visible and prominent blood vessel on the surface of the eye. These do not represent disease or inflammation. It can be normal for many people.

I should mention that there are over the counter eye drops that contain vasoconstrictors ("gets the red out") to make your eyes more "white" but unfortunately the effect is very temporary and you can become dependent on these drops with your eyes getting much redder in between doses than if you hadn't taken the "get the red out" drop at all.

Featuring Experts

Alan Kozarsky, MD, is one of the leading corneal, cataract, and vision correction specialists in the country and was selected again this year by Atla...More

Helpful Tips

blurry eyes
sometimes I experience blurred eyesight and shaking of my lower eye. do I have astigmatism and do I need to go to an eye doctor? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.