Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


Posting to the communities has been restored. Our technical team is still completing ongoing maintenance, and you may experience some technical problems.Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Includes Expert Content
buldge on optic nerve
allmykidshavepaws posted:
My optician is refering me to a specialist because of a buldge pushing in on my left optic nerve. What causes this and what can be done to fix this?
Alan M Kozarsky, MD responded:
Please give us a bit more information. I am somewhat confused because opticians (dispense eyeglasses) don't examine the eye or optic nerve. A "bulge" in the optic nerve as discovered by an optometrist or ophthalmologist could be an internal finding in the eyeball itself or something suspected along the optic nerve which runs between the back of each eye to the brain.

There are so many possibilities based upon "bulge" in optic nerve that its hard to explore even the more likely ones.
allmykidshavepaws replied to Alan M Kozarsky, MD's response:
Because of my insurance (Medicade), I had to go to the last "eye" dr. I had seen when I developed a dark spot in my vision. He now says that what I have is ischemic optic nueropathy, and it should resolve itself over time. He did a complete eye exam with dialation.
Alan M Kozarsky, MD replied to allmykidshavepaws's response:
Ischemic optic neuropathy is a condition in which there is decreased circulation to the nerve supplying vision to the eye. We usually get reasonably concerned when someone has this condition which usually shows itself as sudden blurred vision.
Of major importance is making sure the circulation problem to the nerve is not from inflammation because if it is, high dose oral or intravenous steroid treatment is urgently needed.

The vision problems which happen after ischemic optic neuropathy do not generally "resolve over time".

Whether misunderstanding or misdiagnosis, I am concerned that such potentially serious diagnoses are being spoken about so casually. So many doctors including ophthalmologists and neuro-ophthalmologists accept Medicaid patients. If your primary care doctor is required to refer you to an ophthalmologist or neuro-ophthalmologist, just tell him or her that your current eye doctor told you that you have ischemic optic neuropathy and that he said that it "resolves itself over time".

Featuring Experts

Alan Kozarsky, MD, is one of the leading corneal, cataract, and vision correction specialists in the country and was selected again this year by Atla...More

Helpful Tips

blurry eyes
sometimes I experience blurred eyesight and shaking of my lower eye. do I have astigmatism and do I need to go to an eye doctor? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.