Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Includes Expert Content
Eyes burn & hurt
sittingpretty3 posted:
My eyes burn & hurt and are irritated around them. Fills like my eyes have been burned. I have went to several doctors(eye doctor, general practician, ear, nose & throat, allergist, eye specialist, dermatolgist) and they gave me drops & antibiotics and nothing has helped. This has been going on for several years and will get better for a little while and comes back. I cannot stand heat or cold from heater or air cond.- anything that blows air. The many prescriptions of drops, etc. have not just makes my eyes burn. A nurse practician thought I had a fungus and the dermatolgist said it was roasha(it does not look like roasha-nor did the medicine they gave me help at all..just made my eyes burn worse), allergist said allergy, eye specialist said dry eye and the drops would help! I have went to so many doctors and none have helped me. I get so upset and depressed over my eyes and I feel there is someone or something out there that could help me but no one has found it yet. Please help.
Alan M Kozarsky, MD responded:
While it is impossible to make a diagnosis with certainty without seeing you, this sure sounds a lot like dry eyes.

Allergies itch, infections don't last for years, and rosacea may be a contributing irritation but the long duration as well as the eye specialist's conclusion all point at dry eyes as the problem.

Dry eyes cannot be cured but they can be treated effectively. We generally start with artificial tears and other lubricants which give temporary relief and are all that are needed for mild cases. To this we can add a nutritional recommendation for high levels of high quality omega-3 and fish oil supplements by mouth. Another measure that can increase the amount of your own tears is cyclosporine drops which are prescribed by your eye specialist. Finally, very tiny (punctal) plugs can be placed in your tear exit ducts on your eyelids to increase your own eye lubrication.

If you have co-existing rosacea, an oral tetracycline type medication can be prescribed. If you have dry mouth as well as dry eye (as well as certain forms of arthritis) Sjogren's syndrome should be suspected and can be confirmed by special testing.

Again, dry eyes cannot be cured but your life can be made a lot more comfortable by one or more of the above measures.

Best idea, especially considering the severity of your symptoms is to find an ophthalmologist who is a definite expert in treating dry eyes. Start at www. and pull down the "Find an Eye M.D" tab searching for a "Corneal/External Disease" specialist in your area.

Featuring Experts

Alan Kozarsky, MD, is one of the leading corneal, cataract, and vision correction specialists in the country and was selected again this year by Atla...More

Helpful Tips

blurry eyes
sometimes I experience blurred eyesight and shaking of my lower eye. do I have astigmatism and do I need to go to an eye doctor? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.