Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
onecat posted:
As a treatment for CME after the first ocular steriod injection is administered with very good results after the 6 week evaluation, is it always necessary to repeat this treatment? ( We heard that these are given in a series of 3 -thus my question)... thanks so much !
Alan M Kozarsky, MD responded:
There is no set protocol for the treatment of Cystoid Macular Edema (CME). Usually we start with a combination of steroid and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drops followed by outside the eye steroid injections if the drops don't make the condition go away. There is no "set" number of injections and both the eyedrop and the injection treatments are based upon the response of the condition (vision and appearance of the retina) to the treatment. Luckily, CME generally with resolves nicely with treatment and the passage of time. The main thing is to watch for steady improvement on the regimen which is chosen.
onecat replied to Alan M Kozarsky, MD's response:
Hello and thanks for replying - this is now after the fact (thankfully) and just saw your reply.
.Improvement has happened !! Forgot to mention age: pt. is 77.
OCT results for edema were down from 350 six wks ago to 294 this week. We were told that 250 is 'normal' ...but strangely enough the non-operated eye also is at 294...forgot to ask if some people have a 'high-normal' ?
So based on the edema remaining i'm assuming a 2nd injection wasn't necessary because was patient was given a Pin Hole (20/50), dischaged to opthalmologist & told to get refracted. Again!! Thanks so much for your time & kindness. Very much appreciated ...

Featuring Experts

Alan Kozarsky, MD, is one of the leading corneal, cataract, and vision correction specialists in the country and was selected again this year by Atla...More

Helpful Tips

blurry eyes
sometimes I experience blurred eyesight and shaking of my lower eye. do I have astigmatism and do I need to go to an eye doctor? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.