Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Possible foreign object in eye?
megan95448 posted:
For weeks now, I have felt that there may be something in my eye, most likely along the periphery of the cornea, out of my reach. Up until now, the discomfort has been moderate, and intermittent. Lately it has gotten a bit worse, however. I have not been to an eye doctor in quite some time, so what I want to know is if there is a test that can look along the outer edge of the cornea, to see if there is in fact *something* in there?
megan95448 responded:
Oh, and I am a 31 year old female.
Alan M Kozarsky, MD replied to megan95448's response:
Megan, you are experiencing what we call "foreign body sensation" While you might actually have a foreign body in your eye there are other, common, causes of this sensation. A misdirected eyelash can cause this feeling as can a stye along the edge of your eyelid. Dry spots on the cornea as well as viral infections of the cornea can cause foreign body sensation. A corneal abrasion which hasn't fully healed can make it feel like there is something in your eye. An exact description of the way your eye feels does not help in determining the cause.

Unfortunately, there is no home testing to know specifically what is causing your discomfort. Thus, if this is not obviously going away by itself, its time to see an eye doctor to make a diagnosis and treat the problem.
megan95448 replied to Alan M Kozarsky, MD's response:
To be clear, I was not asking for a home remedy or test. I just don't want to make an eye doctor appointment if they're not going to be able to assist me.

Featuring Experts

Alan Kozarsky, MD, is one of the leading corneal, cataract, and vision correction specialists in the country and was selected again this year by Atla...More

Helpful Tips

BEST of Eye Secrets
Eye Secrets is a non-surgical eye lift designed to instantly restore your eyelids to a more natural, youthful shape. Eyelid strips give an ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.