Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Possible foreign object in eye?
    megan95448 posted:
    For weeks now, I have felt that there may be something in my eye, most likely along the periphery of the cornea, out of my reach. Up until now, the discomfort has been moderate, and intermittent. Lately it has gotten a bit worse, however. I have not been to an eye doctor in quite some time, so what I want to know is if there is a test that can look along the outer edge of the cornea, to see if there is in fact *something* in there?
    megan95448 responded:
    Oh, and I am a 31 year old female.
    Alan M Kozarsky, MD replied to megan95448's response:
    Megan, you are experiencing what we call "foreign body sensation" While you might actually have a foreign body in your eye there are other, common, causes of this sensation. A misdirected eyelash can cause this feeling as can a stye along the edge of your eyelid. Dry spots on the cornea as well as viral infections of the cornea can cause foreign body sensation. A corneal abrasion which hasn't fully healed can make it feel like there is something in your eye. An exact description of the way your eye feels does not help in determining the cause.

    Unfortunately, there is no home testing to know specifically what is causing your discomfort. Thus, if this is not obviously going away by itself, its time to see an eye doctor to make a diagnosis and treat the problem.
    megan95448 replied to Alan M Kozarsky, MD's response:
    To be clear, I was not asking for a home remedy or test. I just don't want to make an eye doctor appointment if they're not going to be able to assist me.

    Featuring Experts

    Alan Kozarsky, MD, is one of the leading corneal, cataract, and vision correction specialists in the country and was selected again this year by Atla...More

    Helpful Tips

    46 yr old female diagnosed with punder my pink eye
    there is a lump on the inside of my left eyes it almost looks like a big pimple or cyst..i went to a walk in and they told me it was pink ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.