Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
got punched in the side of the face
An_251092 posted:
I'm 25 m got poped in the face now a large part of the white is red... what should i do
Alan M Kozarsky, MD responded:
This type of "red" eye is called a subconjunctival hemorrhage. It represents a small blood vessel on the surface of your eye which has leaked just a drop or two of blood. By itself it is very scary looking but harmless.

The important issue is whether the same trauma which caused the blood vessel to leak also harmed the eye in another, more harmful way. The other possible injuries to the eye include a fracture of the eye socket, corneal abrasion, bleeding inside the eye, inflammation inside the eye, or a retinal tear. If the "pop" in your face was a hard punch, the more serious problems are more possible. If your eye hurts or if your vision is blurred, the chances are greater that there are problems other than the subconjunctival hemorrhage.

So, the best answer is to have an ophthalmologist examine your red eye especially if it was a hard blow to your eye, if you are having discomfort or if your vision is affected in any way.

Featuring Experts

Alan Kozarsky, MD, is one of the leading corneal, cataract, and vision correction specialists in the country and was selected again this year by Atla...More

Helpful Tips

BEST of Eye Secrets
Eye Secrets is a non-surgical eye lift designed to instantly restore your eyelids to a more natural, youthful shape. Eyelid strips give an ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.