Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Son has excessive blinking in both eyes
    Mnolan83 posted:
    My son is seven years old. A month and a half ago he started blinking excessively. Over time it has just worsened. We have seen his eye doctor, who performed numerous test, which all came back negative. She said he had perfect vision and that his eyes were very healthy. The next step was the allergist. They performed the scratch test on his back, which came back negative. She then did a test on his arm that is very accurate, it also came back negative. He had been on allergy medicine ( singular, claratin, flonase, and patanol eye drops) prescribed by his pediatrician who assumed it was allergy. He is now off all of those medicines due to the testing being normal. He says that his eyes are itchy, but does not rub them very often. There is no drainage or crust coming from his eyes. they do not get red or swollen. It seems that they act up even more when he is anxious or nervous. He also blinks in his sleep. He has an appointment to see a neurologist next month, but that just seems so far away. He is miserable as am I. I just feel like there is nothing I can do to help him. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Alan M Kozarsky, MD responded:
    I do not see many children in my practice (we have four pediatric ophthalmologists in our group) but it does appear that you have taken the exactly correct steps to make sure that the excessive blinking is not the sign of a major problem.

    It is very likely that all consultations will show no abnormality and that the blinking will gradually go away.

    Featuring Experts

    Alan Kozarsky, MD, is one of the leading corneal, cataract, and vision correction specialists in the country and was selected again this year by Atla...More

    Helpful Tips

    Tips to fight eye puffiness
    Here are tips that you may find it useful to get rid puffy eyes . Watch your alcohol intake. Becaue it can cause yes bloated if you ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 2 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.